GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Hybrid View

Default Another HID question

I am considering putting in the 5000k HID kit that I found on a site that @reggiecab2000 recommended. I would like a 4300K kit but the site does not offer one and I don't want to go to a site that is crap to buy one. Do I just buy the kit and the battery harness? My remote starter flickers the headlights for a second when it starts. I know that this is not good for HID ballasts. Any suggestions to help with this issue? The site asks for bulb size, will the bulb mount into my factory housings without modifications? Anything else I need to know?? Thanks

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

So, your 2005 can be tricky, your electrical system is reduced voltage a the headlights because of your DRL system and the canbus multiplex system that GM has on their trucks. There are two ways to get HID lights to function properly on your truck, the first is simple, pull your DRL fuse in your truck. Your lights will get the right current and voltage. The second is the preferred way, when you order your kit, order a relay harness for each kit. If you do all lights including fogs, you'll need three relay harnesses, with these harnesses you'll get an isolated power source from your battery that is triggered by the respective light circuit for each kit.

Second, I would go with a company called Longshot lighting. Mike, the owner, is an awesome dude, his kits are affordable, he has some new technology for quick bright HIDs so you don't have annoying warm up times, he offers relay harnesses, he is the ONLY company that offers a true AC ballast with his kits which provides you with a much more stable and efficient ballast. He also offers 5000k kits on special orders and his customer service is excellent.

The flickering with your headlines is a factory setting, when you crank your truck, your accessory feeds all go to zero voltage through crank to relieve stress on the start with for your battery. The flickering IS bad for HID ballasts but there is nothing you can do about that. Some ballasts will last longer than others, depends if it was constructed on a Friday or not lol .

@zigger215, concerning the relay that you are talking about, are you talking about the harness that runs from the battery to the ballast? If so, I planned on getting that anyway. If I do it I will only be doing my low beams.

Perfect. That's exactly what I was talking about.

@zigger215 - Nice reference for Longshot Lighting. I checked out the site and it looks good and prices seem sane. I saw no relay harnesses on the site, though -- not possible to add them. Colour choices seem a little limited on kits, too.

I sent long shot an email. I asked about the harness and the availability of 4300k and 5000k in the "Fast Bright" Model.
    @zigger215 said that he does those colors on special order. I don't see why it would be an issue with the colors. He would just take the 6000k bulbs out of the box and put 4300K in their place. I am assuming that the "fast Bright" is just a different type of ballast. I could be wrong.

I hate giving my credit card number to humans since humans are more easily hacked (i.e. social engineering) and generally less trustworthy than computers, these days. Companies that don't allow you to make purchases in an online cart which masks your credit card number and processes your payment without human interaction generally lose my business for both security and convenience reasons, as it's inconvenient to have to call to place a special order and it's inherently more risky to have to give a human your credit card number (who is listening? what did they do with it? what stops them from using it, themselves?).

@zigger215 should probably share that type of feedback with Longshot Lighting. I'd have already bought a couple things, today, if I could have done it online ... but when I noticed things we KNOW he sells absent from the website I did an about face. Business lost.

I just shot him a text, he just started carrying the HID relay harness which would explain why the price isn't up yet. It's odd that he hasn't replied yet, out if character to say the least.

Well, we will see. I am interested to say the least. I don't like the 2 week wait. But, his price is good and I think that HID's around 4300k-5000k would look nice in my denali headlights.

It took me about 1.5 weeks to get my kits.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by