GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Fuel mileage improvment

Yes. I know...Probably the most asked question from the newbies...LOL!! I have a 2001 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L 2WD Yeah. I know. 8.1L...What do you think you'll get for mileage??!! LOL!!

It still has stock everything and I'm just kinda looking at where to start in making some modifications. Engine and drivetrain are great, just have a few little issues to get through. Used to haul a lot and still take some cattle to market and an occasional 5th wheel camper trip. Any suggestions?

Troy

Not much to work with, you need to reduce resistance. Change the engine oil and rear diff to synthetic. Change the tires to something with a harder rubber compound and increase the air pressure a few pounds over door sticker. Remove un-used weight from the bed and inside the truck.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Even with all of that done The Big Block will still get between 8-12 MPG.. The best thing to do if you are still going to be towing those big loads is Diesel.. They get a good 17-22 on Avg...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend

Rule of 2 will help, never let the rpms get above 2000 when accelerating from a stop.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Sr. Apprentice

The fuel mileage will increase with added mileage. Use a synthetic oil in the engine and back off on the throttle. Make sure the tires are pumped up more as they will provide less rolling resistance, keep your fuel system clean , keep your air filter clean, keep all fluids routinely changed.

Forget the tire pressure suggestion and get a programmer. I'd rather get more mileage out of my $1000-$1500 set of tires than save $100 at the pump in a 40k mile period, but that's just me.
    Definitely be easy on the go pedal
    Chuckie!!!

Trade it in for a diesel 4wd 2500HD or even 3500HD. It'll tow better, and you'll get better MPG.