GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Adding in-dash navigation to a 2012 chevy silverado 1500

Hey there, I have a 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ. It has the onstar turn by turn navigation, but I'm thinking about putting an in-dash gps unit like a kenwood or a pioneer in. Does anyone here know if I switch out the stereo for that if I will have any issues? I have the Bose package, and I'm wondering if I will lose the turn by turn onstar function or have any issues with the trucks bluetooth or stereo?

Anyone have any experience with swapping out a factory unit for a kenwood or a pioneer? Thanks for any help!

-Evan

Go check out crutchfield.com and chat with one of their advisors. In order to maintain the on-star as well as the steering wheel controls and factory door chimes, etc.. you'll need an adapter to go with the head unit. They can link you directly to what you'll need. You don't have to buy it from there, but their customer service will always point you in the right direction. They sometimes have some pretty nice sales as well. I hope this helps.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

Another thing to do would be to just upgrade to a GM Nav/DVD head unit as well. That's what I'm planning on doing with mine soon.

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

There is that. I suppose the least intrusive answer could work as well. That might be too efficient to consider though.

Good point Rado, as always. There are quite a few options you can look at. The first thing to do is figure out exactly what you're looking for in a head unit. That will narrow your options, then just go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy09LTZCrew View Post
    There is that. I suppose the least intrusive answer could work as well. That might be too efficient to consider though.

Good point Rado, as always. There are quite a few options you can look at. The first thing to do is figure out exactly what you're looking for in a head unit. That will narrow your options, then just go from there.
    It's definitely the least intrusive .. but will allow you to keep everything you desire without the use of adapters and all that jazz. It may actually end up being the most intrusive route route for your wallet.. but as far as ease of installation and use, well worth it. Plus IMO: the GM Nav units look great in our pickups.

I wanted to get Nav when I bought the truck new, but they wanted $2300 or something close to that for the Navigation package. Right now I'm trying to figure out if there is a cheaper way to find a factory unit, and I'm trying to find out who makes it/where to buy it/how to get it installed. Thanks everyone for the advice so far.

When I was looking at trucks I had the same issue. What I found is you can get a better unit in the after market for less than the factory unit. I have spoken with SurrealOne about his headunit at length. Yes we do have different style trucks but I still think for me that is a better route.

You may end up paying around $700 for a stock GM Nav head unit (I think they changed them in 2011/2012 models, but not for certain) BUT.. rather than having to worry about losing your steering wheel controls (which you will have to purchase an adapter for an aftermarket unit to use), OnStar (not for sure how they work with aftermarket units but I'm pretty positive they will need some sort of adapter), Integrated bluetooth system (again not for sure how it will work, as most aftermarket systems use their own mic that you have to run and install). If you use a head unit that is already wired for all of these factory funtions ( OE nav unit).. obviously you wont have any issues. I believe that in order for the OE nav unit to work it has to be programmed for your VIN, but I can check that with my buddy who works for GM for you if you'd like.

I'm almost positive you're right Rado. The primary reason I've looked at the receiver I want is because of the available center channel, which last time I checked, wasn't offered on the OE unit or the Rosen. The Rosen OE replacement Nav unit is around 14-1500. It's made for the truck though. Also, it doesn't require all the adapters that the Kenwood or other aftermarked would. So you have to balance total cost and what you're looking for.

The adapter for just on star functions and door chimes is 74 bucks at crutch field. The one for the oem rear seat DVD player, reverse camera, and steering wheel controls is 129. They say that's a 50% discount. I had a Oem name for my silverado but my brother broke my dads nav and to keep him from gettin in a nice argument with my dad I switched the one I got out of my friends junk yard. Needless to say my brother owes me a in dash now
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by