GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Blog Entries

Default oil pressure gauge acting up

hey guys.. in my 2006 gmc seirra my oil pressure gauge just pegged to 80 one day last week. the truck runs fine,no check engine lights or any other warnings... just today it started sweeping from 0 to 80 randomly. like i said before, no warnings, lights or performance issues.. i know its just an electrical issue, but my question is where?? the stepper motor? the pressure switch?? wiring between the two?? ANY input is appreciated!!
    thanks!!
    2006 gmc sierra 1500 z71
    flowmaster 40 series cat-back system
    S&B cold air intake
    1970 chevy c10 350/290 crate engine
    dual flowmasters to dual outlet in front of the rear tires

HAD a 99 Harley Sporster 1200
    after market paint job
    lotsa chrome
    screamin eagle pipes

Most likely the stepper motor. Usually a bad sender just gives weird readings, not make it bounce around.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Blog Entries

Thats kinda what i was thinkin... the motor is soldered on right??

On the NBS and NNBS I think so, but not sure because I've never taken apart one of those clusters...

Yes, they are soldered in. They can be bought for around $12 online. There are plenty of videos on youtube showing how to do it.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Jr. Engineer

just to make sure, check your oil level.
    "i dont think you got the picture. i got a beautiful picture. this baby happens to have an extra turn of speed, which is the only thing i care about. you dont understnad what happens do you? they make cars. they make 'em exactly the same way. one or two of 'em turn out to be something special. nobody knows why. i know why. i may be kiddin' myself, but i think i can make somethin' out of that sad little bucket of bolts." ~ Tennessee Steinmetz

Legend

A new sending unit for the oil gauge is usually cheap but just cause I have delt with these gauges so much I would say its the stepper as well, but also if one is going the rest aren't far behind
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Blog Entries

thanks for all your help so farguys!! so upon driving home from work tonight, the oil pressure needle was goin all over the place.. the scary (at least for me) thing is the "low oil pressure" message came across the info center.. is there any chance that the gauge going to zero is causing that mesage to come across, or are they seperate systems??
    ps.. oil level was 1/2 in the hash marks, which should be fine, but i added 1/2 qt just to be safe, no knocking,overheating due to lack of lubrication.. nothing phiscally wrong just wacky indications...
    Last edited by black98noma; 01-14-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Blog Entries

so bc i dont have time to mess around with this ne more, its off to the stealership...

Blog Entries

so it turned out to be the oil pressure sensor. thanks for all your help guys!!!