GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1996 silverado 5.7 4x4 performance advice?

hi guys, to start off im new to the forum and im looking to see what you guys have to say on performance or tips. I have a 1996 silverado extended cab with the 5.7. i have a K&N cold air intake on it and flowmaster exhaust. (dual 40 series) I am not working full time so im looking to keep upgrades some what cheap but am looking for something to keep me busy so im asking you guys what i should do to make her run/look better? I also would like to make her alot louder with out that raspy stright pipe/cherry bomb sound. dont get me wrong it sounds good but im driving it every day and want a little more tone to it like my flowmasters have. they just dont wake everyone up like id like Also what would you guys recommend for fuel injectors because i have a friend that has a spider injector and he says he gets close to 30mpg on his 97 tahoe. and if anyone with a silverado has any tips or secrets that you have come across would be much appriciated. im up for what ever you guys recommend? Thank you!
    Devin-Nebraska
    1996 Silverado 1500 5.7
    1971 Camaro Z28 468CI MONSTER

the '97 tahoe can get good mileage with a 3.42 rear, but nowhere near 30mpg. i had the same vehicle that was tip-top condition, true duals, k&n, xlnt plugs, wires, well-maint'ed, and i once squeezed out 22mpg all-highway staying under 70. don't believe your friend outright...most people estimate mileage by the needle on the gauge...

You can get a little better mileage by replacing the OE spider SFI with AC Delco's MPFI conversion kit. The spider injection gets worse MPG than the new kit Delco made. My Tahoe's best mpg was 21 using cruise control going about 65 in almost 0 traffic. The 5.7 wasn't built for MPG it was built for power, towing, and longevity.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Thanks for the advice guys. Helps with my decision.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

If your friend is getting 30 mpg on a 5.7 truck motor I think GM would love to talk to him.. But anyway As said above Gears can help a bit, as for louder then the 40's.... Are the cats still on? Can you post up pics of the truck?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Blog Entries

good luck in the upgrades/mods....any pics soon will be appreciated by all
    Brian from Canada.
    p,s,.....welcome to the site !!!
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart