GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Coolant on garage floor under power steering pump

Trying to diagnose low coolant alarm every 2 weeks. This morning red coolant finally showed up on the garage floor. Two quarter size drops in the area under the power steering pump. I can see droplets forming under the round steel bar under the engine crank pulley (not sure if sway bar or steering?). Not sure if it is the water pump. I shined a light from under the front bumper towards the water pump area and could not find any wet spot.
    I will investigate further this weekend and keep you all posted.
    Any other cooling component that is prone to leak in the same vicinity?

Thanks.
    2011 Chevy Silverado LT 4WD 25k miles
    2001 Suburban 2WD, 5.3, V8 176k miles
    1993 964
    1996 318TI

Well depending on age and wear hoses, the radiator, heater lines all can leak. In my case my radiator was leaking, but it can be anything. Run the truck and see if it comes out anywhere.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

If it is dripping on that cross member chances are it is coming from the waterpump area. Rent a pressure tester and check it. On my 03 the waterpump gasket started leaking. It only leaked when it was running and warm. I replaced the pump also. I did not see a point in pulling it all apart and then have the pump fail soon after.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

This is on my 2001 burb with 167k miles.

It only leaks after sitting overnight in the garage. it does not leak when running and up to temperature.

I will park it inside the garage with the front towards the garage door so I can have natural lighting.

I plan to remove this weekend the fan shroud and fan clutch so I can have a better view of the WP, hoses, radiator and front of engine.

Thanks.
    1993 964
    1996 318TI

Chances are that if you pressure test it the leak will become very evident. It will save you time and give you results.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

is it RED or ORANGE? red fluid could possibly be a tranny fluid leak.
    "i dont think you got the picture. i got a beautiful picture. this baby happens to have an extra turn of speed, which is the only thing i care about. you dont understnad what happens do you? they make cars. they make 'em exactly the same way. one or two of 'em turn out to be something special. nobody knows why. i know why. i may be kiddin' myself, but i think i can make somethin' out of that sad little bucket of bolts." ~ Tennessee Steinmetz

I agree with @Pikey pressure test it. I didn't pressure test with my leak because it was obvious and you could see where it was damp. Removing the shroud will give you the best view, please take pics for us so we can see.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Quote Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
    is it RED or ORANGE? red fluid could possibly be a tranny fluid leak.
    I touched the fluid, it is not power steering fluid. I am sure it is coolant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Chances are that if you pressure test it the leak will become very evident. It will save you time and give you results.
    Ok. I will pressure test it. Do you pressurize from the expansion tank? Where is the test point?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    I agree with @Pikey pressure test it. I didn't pressure test with my leak because it was obvious and you could see where it was damp. Removing the shroud will give you the best view, please take pics for us so we can see.
    I will definitely post pics.

I will pressure test first and see if I can find out where it was leaking from then remove shroud and fan clutch if needed.
    1993 964
    1996 318TI

I have to say that the hardest part of changing the pump on my 03 was getting the clutch fan to break loose.

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I have to say that the hardest part of changing the pump on my 03 was getting the clutch fan to break loose.
    I just replaced my fan clutch sometime last year. I made my own pulley holding tool from a 2-inch flat bar and broke it loose. I hope I can find the tool in my stack. Also, now I don't remember if it is left hand thread or not, it has been a while.
    1993 964
    1996 318TI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast