GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Smile HELP! Interior lights, heater, and radio will not work! 1988 Chevy 1500

Okay, so i have a new to me 1988 chevy silverado 1500 long wheel base single cab and i have just recently purchased a new aftermarket radio system from crutchfield.com complete with all the needed wiring adapters and such. I went to install the radio today only to find out that it will not work. i have already disassembled the old OEM factory radio and taken out the old cassette player. I have gotten all the wiring hooked up right (to my knowledge according to color matching of the wires) and it will not turn on. The factory radio beforehand worked fine, just did not produce a quality sound. Then i come to find out that Now my interior lights will not work anymore. I have tried checking the radio fuse to see if it was blown but it looks to be just fine. I did notice that when i went to insert the wires through the dash in order to plug them into the aftermarket radio that i caused a little bit of a spark bc i had forgotten to disconnect the battery. But i immediately checked to see if the truck would still crank and i checked all my lights and they still worked (i dont know about the interior lights though because it was daylight and i didnt think to check them). But im thinking that maybe i blew a fusable link in a wire somewhere?? I dont know where i would check that at? Deeper inside the dash on all the radio control wires or what? i dont know. And is there also another type of fuse box that i dont know about in this truck other than the one to the right of the parking brake release? I would really like some advice on what to do before i go ripping all the plastic pieces out of the dash though. LOL. And now about the heater and air control....Apparently the heater had worked perfectly fine before the trucks engine computer was replaced, but now it will not work at all. The button lights to the heater control unit will light up, but the little display screen shows nothing. Is it just a faulty Heater Control panel or could it be something else? The truck is old, but as far as mechanics go it is great. Just little electrical problems like these are really becoming a pain Any advice would greatly be appreciated! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Countrypride95 View Post
    I did notice that when i went to insert the wires through the dash in order to plug them into the aftermarket radio that i caused a little bit of a spark bc i had forgotten to disconnect the battery.
    Spark always equals a blown fuse.

Look for a large fuse that feeds a 2nd fuse panel. I don't know if your truck has an inside the cab panel, but that is what you need to look for. On some trucks, it's call a megi-fuse and it can be as large as 125 amps.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Sparks are not good for the radio. As @RayVoy said there is a fuse panel on the driver side under the dash or behind a panel and a fuse box under the hood. The only fuse-able link is on the alternator to my knowledge. Some radios need to be hooked up to a dedicated power lead.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

UPDATE: Thanks for the advice guys. Started looking a little closer at all my wires and fuses this morning and turns out it was just a blown fuse haha. Should have checked them all a little closer. But the fuse was labled CTSY and i had no clue what that was but after replacing the fuse everything came back to life. lol. Still got one problem at hand though....the heater and air do not work. Ive already bought a little 12V plug in heater but those things are a joke. Barely keeps my hands warm. Im thinking that it may just be the Heater Control unit that needs replacing because it seemed to light up and work just fine before.
    Chad- Alabama
    1988 Chevy 1500 LWB

Did you buy an aftermarket harness adaptor or did you cut your factory harness and hardwiring directly to it?

The radio came with an aftermarket adapter for 88 to 95 GM/Chevy trucks. All i had to do was connect the wires according to color from the adapter to the back of the radio and then plug in the factory plugs.