GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

View Poll Results: How often do you use cruise control?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Whenever possible, Be it freeway or surface streets

9 32.14%
  • Often, whenever on the freeway.

14 50.00%
  • Occasionally, when on long trips.

4 14.29%
  • Never

1 3.57%
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Poll: Do you use your Cruise Control?

I was having a discussion with some one the other day (while riding with them) and they don't use their F'ing cruise control while on the highway.

IMO using your cruise control is one of the best ways to get good fuel economy. Studies have shown that you can get up to a 14% improvement by using your cruise control. Moral of the story, if you have it, USE IT.

Note that if you are driving in mountainous country CC is not a good idea.

With even the cheapest Silverado (the W/T) coming standard with CC, there's no reason not to use it.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Anytime I'm not in stop-and-go, I use cruise control. Even if it's a 45-mph road. It helps to keep the vehicle going at a steady speed, you save on fuel and if you want to turn it off just hit the brakes.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

I use it all the time. We have many 55mph country roads near me. I set the cruise at 60mph and good to go. Same on the freeway. I am lazy, with the cruise set that is one less thing I have to think about
    Last edited by Pikey; 01-15-2013 at 06:24 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Blog Entries

I use it all the time in our 4.8 Crew Cab
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

I never use it, I don't like it, never have. It may be a wonderful "gadget" on the parries; but I do not like the way it slows down as it approaches a hill, then over accelerates to maintain speed.

It may give better fuel mileage for some users, but I don't believe it will produce better results than I can achieve (my opinion only).

I like almost every convince on a modern vehicle, but I am not a fan of cruise control, or auto wipers.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Yup use it whenever I can. Always trying to be aware of changing conditions that may require me shutting it off.
    Finally a signature and Avatar! I also posted some pics in the Gallery.
    2011 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Z71 6Liter.
    2011 Outback Travel Trailer 260FL
    So Happy to not be on the edge of GVWR Over Load!!

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    I never use it, I don't like it, never have. It may be a wonderful "gadget" on the parries; but I do not like the way it slows down as it approaches a hill, then over accelerates to maintain speed.

It may give better fuel mileage for some users, but I don't believe it will produce better results than I can achieve (my opinion only).

I like almost every convince on a modern vehicle, but I am not a fan of cruise control, or auto wipers.
    You seem to be in the extreme minority.

Cruise control will give better consistency than a human right foot.

It's a shame to pay for features and never use them.

I use it often but I have also achieved better mpg on the highway without it. I take about a 350 mile trip to pick up some family and return them. When I got there I used cruise control the entire way back achieving about 17mpg in my 03 Escalade. When we took them back I left the cruise off and consientiously used my foot and watching the rpms to obtain the best mpg (ex. slowly speeding up to prepare for hills and coasting more down hills) and I had achieved 19 mpg on the way home. Now maybe I just had a good tailwind pushing me down the road that day but its highly doubtfull.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

My best MPG with CC was 21 best with my foot is 16.... big difference. My cruise control is great it actually down shifts the truck on grades and know keeps the truck at speed very well even tho its mid 90's tech.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    You seem to be in the extreme minority.
    Haha, yep, probably I am.

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    Cruise control will give better consistency than a human right foot.
    I may try a test this spring to see if there is any difference, it could be an interesting experiment.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by