GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 rust!

Default 2010 rust!

Hey yall,

Just curious if any one has had this issue or has this issue and what they did you fix it/

I have a 2010 silverado 1500 and my chrome bumper by the tail pipe is rusting something fierce. Ive looked this up but all i can see is get a new bumper or call chevy and im out of waranty now so they wont do anything all they said was polish it. If any one has and ideas or tips of what they did it would be great

thanks yall!

come on mudddd

Out of warranty? Have you got that many miles on it already? Thats seems to be at most 3 years and rust already. I better go check my 2011 sitting out in the barn with 6800 miles on it when the night is quiet and listen to hear if mine is starting to rust. That sucks and I would definitely put a call in to gm. That should not happen even if you are in a winter area that uses salt. Quality seems to continue to go down hill Im telling ya.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Blog Entries

our 2010 crew warranty still has 8 months left......some rust has started in the
    lip of the Inner area of the Tailgate....common knowledge around here, and I
    do not thinbk it is warranty covered because most rust warranties are for
    perforation (rust through)....I have kept it oiled for the last 6 or 7 months, but
    will look into it in the spring after I wash the oil off for them to check.
    Brian from Canada
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

yeah phantom i bought it used with 69000km it. i know lots but i havent had an issue before this. From what ive found online its pretty common for some just the 2010's from what ive found so far but then again thats when they were made in mexico and i called chevy near me and they said they have had a few but because its out of the basic 3 year 60k warranty they cant do anything. she said what they do the first time is polish it with silvo or brasso, then if it comes back they replace the bumper but because im past the 60k all they suggested was polish it.

and brian yeah its not my tailgat its the actual chrome on the bumper.

sorry to hear man i wish i could help.

But i have a question, does anybody else think its major BS that for what it costs to buy a truck now a days, they only guarentee it for 3 years??

yeah i think its junk! but what can we do right? and barefoot greg where did you get that bumper from?

Quote Originally Posted by rbramhill View Post
    yeah phantom i bought it used with 69000km it. i know lots but i havent had an issue before this. From what ive found online its pretty common for some just the 2010's from what ive found so far but then again thats when they were made in mexico and i called chevy near me and they said they have had a few but because its out of the basic 3 year 60k warranty they cant do anything.
    Mine was made in Mexico also so it may just take another 6 months.

ill take a picutre of the rust tomorrow and i will post it. it sucks!!

My frame has lots of rust on it, and also some paint has come off by the factory mudflap probably due to rust. GM wont cover it because they said its not rusted thru... but its kinda funny that the rust protection stuff is peeling off like crazy (rusted thru the rust protection?). Also it rusted thru the paint... But GM still wont cover it. Guess it has to rust completely thru the metal before they will cover it.

Like I said earlier, I am thinking about buying Silverado and now I am a bit worried...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast