GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Want to fit a G80 in my '97 K2500 (C6P) & GT4 differential

My truck has the (RPO code) GT4 (3.73 rear axle DUP to 5X1) and I would like to upgrade it to a G80 locking differential.

I believe I can get an Eaton MLocker to achieve this, but what all is entailed in such a conversion? Other than buying the MLocker, what else would need swapped out?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Replacing the carrier like that is essentially the same thing as rebuilding the differential, minus buying a new ring and pinion. So you will essentially need a complete rebuild kit including bearings, seals, and shims. You will also need the tools, know-how, and patience for setting the gears up (including backlash, wear pattern, etc.).

Are you married to the factory style locker (Eaton G80)? An often easier and cheaper option is to install an aftermarket "lunch-box" locker like the powertrax lockright or the Detroit EZ locker. These replace the "spider" gears inside the existing carrier to create the locking mechanism. Because these use the existing carrier, there's no need to set up the gears or the other stuff associated with carrier replacement.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

I would go with the DetroitEZ locker. But, be aware that the locker will only be as strong as the original carrier that you are installing the kit in. I would not go over a 33" tire with it.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)