GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Wire leads to the sub, Wire from there to the Sub, If you do push down lightly do you hear a scrape sound? Inside the coil of the sub
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

The ohm symbol is the upside down horseshoe lookin deal on your meter, touch the one lead to the red terminal on the sub box and the other lead to the black terminal. It takes a lot for a meter to not work...
    Enkie isn't looking for the sub to not "bottom out" when you depress it, he is lookin for a grainy, scratchy, inconsistent feeling when the cone is suspending up and down. What the tells us is if you are having a break down in the motor itself (guts of a woofer). When pressing down on the sub it should have a nice, smooth feelin to it

Still haven't had time to take the sub out of the box (out of town this past weekend), but when I press on the woofer, it is smooth with no scratchy feeling.
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

Hmm yep time to check connection. After you do that, if everything checks out good, we will move on to trouble shooting the amplifier.

Ok, I finally had time to mess with things. I took the sub out of the box, and all connections are fine. I redid them to make sure. Nothing was loose.

I'm thinking the sub is definitely the culprit. When I push on it with the stereo off, it feels and sounds smooth. However, when I have the stereo on, and I apply light pressure to either the cone or surround of the sub, it works. When I let go, sometimes it says on for a second or two, but then it will make kind of a rattling sound, and it will cut out. If I keep constant, light pressure on the surround, it stays on just fine. I don't know the inner workings of a sub, but it seems like something in there is knocked loose or broken.

I'm thinking the amp is fine since it works when I apply pressure. I didn't see any way to take apart the sub to see if I could find what was loose or broken. It seems like I may be stuck buying a new one unless anyone has any further suggestions.

If I do get a new one, any suggestions? I have been quite happy with my RF. I'm looking for the best "bang" for my buck. Keep in mind, this is just an 8" sub in a crew cab truck, so I'm not looking for anything to blow me away, just to improve the sound of my system.
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

Can I get the amp specs?

I'm not real familiar with car stereo stuff (not even my own), so I'm not sure of the specs. I do know it's a Sony XM-752X. You should be able to Google that and find the specs you're looking for. Hope that helps!

As far as I can tell the amp is rated at 75W (RMS) x 2 @ 4ohms, 100W x 2 @ 2ohms and 200W bridged @ 4ohms.

If I understand your description of the sub above it sounds like the voice coil may have partially separated from the cone. You might try stopping by your local car audio shop and asking their opinion.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

If I remember right. About 250-300 RMS.. A great sounding sub http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-subwoofer-drivers-w3v3
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12