GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Service TPMS Warning-05 Yukon XL

I left the gym last night and got a "Service TPMS" message on my display. I scrolled through the tire pressures and the LR was not reading. I shut the truck off and restarted it. The message remained. I drove about 5 miles and the sensor started reading again. Luckily, If I have to have the sensor changed I have a $20 off any purchase at the local tire place. Anyone dealt with these before? I have zero experience with the system so any insight will be helpful. Is the not working, then working again an indication of something? Thanks

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I have no experience, just some thoughts:
    - do they have an internal battery, or a built-in generator?
    - do they constantly transmit, or try to "talk" to the receiver?
    - they take a lot of pounding, they must be very durable.
    - how do they last as long as they do?
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Master Mechanic

The most recent issue I had was when I put my stock wheels back on. I did not dismount & remount the tire but one of the TPMS monitors was not registering and pressure was showing as zero. I called the dealership and they said it just needs to be reprogrammed; that fixed the issue. Where your issue sounds like it is intermittent it could be that the sensor is starting to fail. Is it old? Having a sensor fixed can actually be kind of pricey so it's good that you have the $20 off coupon. As you know though, keep an eye on it to see if it is a recurring issue or was an anomaly.

I would assume the internal (non-changeable) battery is failing. When I bought my Escalade mine were all dead but I had no lights on the dash so I did not even know that they were dead. I was told about $100 to replace all 4.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    I was told about $100 to replace all 4.
    I may be wrong, but that sounds like just the labour to replace them. I think each sensor is $50 to $75.

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    I may be wrong, but that sounds like just the labour to replace them. I think each sensor is $50 to $75.
    Well things are a little more pricey in Canada. Theyre nothing more than a valve stem to install unless your considering having them program the vehicle for them also. My tire guy told me $25 each installed (Im sure he gets the cheap ones)but I would have to program the vehicle or learn them so to speak. I told him yank them out and put regular valve stems in since I had no lights on the dash lit up.

Well things are a little more pricey in Canada.
    Yep, it would cost me $20 just to break down the tire and re-install it.

I think that there is a battery in them. It is probably failing. I assume that they are original. The sensor is $59. The tire place wants $79 total to do it. With $20 off I basically just pay for the sensor. It is acting ok now. I have lifetime balancing and rotation from the place. So, I will have them balance and rotate them. They "relearn" the system for free as part of that. They have a tool that they walk to each tire with, the horn honks and they move to the next one.

- - - Updated - - -

I told him yank them out and put regular valve stems in since I had no lights on the dash lit up.
    I believe that disabling the system like that is a felony as TPMS is a federal mandate. Not that it matters and I would probably do the same thing if all four of mine were dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I believe that disabling the system like that is a felony as TPMS is a federal mandate. Not that it matters and I would probably do the same thing if all four of mine were dead.
    Of course its illegal. What the heck is not any more. As soon as lawmakers figure out that vehicles are what kill people when you drink and drive. Unnecessary driving will be illegal and subject to stiff fines and penalties. NY state will lead the way with this law followed by California. Just ask governor Cuomo of NY. He will scream into his microphone to "STOP THE MADNESS"

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

When I change my factory rims for my summer Bling I keep the TPMS in the factory ones When they go back on in the Fall the reset is very easy with just letting some air out of each tire till they are learned... With The Summer rims and tires on I just ignore the light in the dash..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X