GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chat system

Pay-per-user? That's daft!

Mobile chat sounds interesting and makes a lot of sense as our world becomes more mobile/tabletized.

I've got to bail for now, but the system is back up and has been updated. I will test the mobile stuff later today.

- - - Updated - - -

There are some bugs in this version of the chat software ... and it looks like there might be a security problem as well. I'm going to look into it, but the code might not be very tight and I'm simply NOT willing to get hacked again just to have a chat software ...

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Live update chat system ... I'm going to try a different option for live chat in the next couple of weeks. Basically, one where we turn a forum into a live-chat type of "board" on a topic and you can post back and forth and it updates live just like in the chat software. The benefit is that it's all recorded to a thread (and yes, you can go back and delete stuff) so there is a record of what goes on in the chat and we just make a new thread from time to time ... OR you can make your own thread, etc.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

@Steve,

1. I don't much like the current package, either; it's not seamless, so I'm glad you're trying something new.
    2. Will we be able to surf/respond to the forums seamlessly while chatting ... without having to constantly go check chat (while we stop reading the forums) ... with the next iteration?
    3. Will the recording default to 'off' (as it probably should) ... and be able to be selectively enabled?
    4. Some states require agreement by all parties to record a conversation, which poses a challenge for recording a conversation where the participants are ever-changing. Will all parties be provided the option to refuse to be recorded? I ask because there is precedent for the Electronic Communications Act being applied to conversations in mediums other than the phone. (In 1968 the Internet as it exists, today, was not envisioned by lawmakers, so the act was, at the time about conversations on the phone and wire tapping, but it's been successfully applied to chat room conversations, text messages, VOIP conversations, pager communications, etc.)

Surreal

P.S. Please tell me the urge to capture chat has nothing to do with search engine optimization.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 03-05-2013 at 12:22 PM.

I might be slightly confused on the subject. All of our chat will be saved in a thread? It is not that I talk about things I don't want others to see. I doubt if someone that is here to look for truck info wants to see my private chat with another member about my new GPS running watch or how I train for a 5k. I had a pretty long chat with another member this morning about his work situation and a few other things. Would something like that be saved to a thread? I have met a few people here over the years that I would consider a friend and someone to talk with. Not all of our conversations are about trucks. It seems like it would clutter the forum up with chat threads. Like I said, I could not care less if someone else reads what I am chatting about. I have nothing to hide, but it seems kind of pointless to save chats that do not pertain to GM trucks. This is just my opinion as a member. I will not go into my concerns as a moderator about trying to keep things family friendly with a live chat being posted in a thread.
    Last edited by Pikey; 03-05-2013 at 12:40 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Yup, that's spot-on, Pikey.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Yup, that's spot-on, Pikey.
    2nd that .........
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123