GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sluggish 2012 Silverado 6spd Tranny that pushes truck forward when at stop

Just scheduled my third appointment in 4 months for my brand new silverado.

2012 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3V8 6spd transmission

The transmission is sloppy from day one but in emergency throttle or stop it feel like it's going to shatter.

During a quick/hard acceleration the power disappears for a second then explodes with full throttle.

During a quick/hard stop the transmission shifts so hard going down the gears you have stopped the vehicle and it's still shifting down, causing the truck to jump forward a foot in front of you.

The dealership has acknowledged there is something wrong, and that it did not need a "Software Upgrade" but that they needed it for two days to "recalibrate" the transmission.

It actually did make the transmission shift down more smoothly but nothing changed on the upshifts.

Now it has come back and pushes the truck forward and shifts hard.

What is causing this? Why would a "transmission calibration" work for a while and then go back to the old shifting way?

Getting VERY frustrated with a 50K dollar truck that shifts like a POS, at this point I'm disappointed in the truck not the dealership.
    2012 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3
    Rough Country 2.5' Lift/Level
    Chevy 18's on Toyo Open Country MT 33's
    DiabloSport Trinity Tuner with Custom Tune from Lew
    Debating on AMP Research Powersteps

2008 GMC Sierra WT 4x2 4.3

3" Rough Country Suspension Lift w/Control Arms
    Super 44 Flowmaster Straight Dual Exhaust from the Cat Back with 18" Chrome 3.5" Exhaust Tips.
    Moto Wheels 951 18" on Nitto Mud Grappler 33's
    Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 System with Kenwood 5.1 amp using Stock Headunit.

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyTN View Post
    Now it has come back and pushes the truck forward.

That sounds like a faulty (as in out of spec, not failed) torque converter to me...

GrizzlyTN,

I'm sorry for your frustration. Could you send me your information (name, number, address, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer) so I can look into this situation?

Evan, GM Customer Service

Hi Evan, I PM'd you the info. Do you know if there is anyone else is having the same issue? I've seen several posts with nearly the exact same issue but no resolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
    GrizzlyTN,

I'm sorry for your frustration. Could you send me your information (name, number, address, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer) so I can look into this situation?

Evan, GM Customer Service
    - - - Updated - - -

How can that be fixed? Programming?

It's been happening since I bought the truck but people said I just needed to get used to the 6spd but there's no way what's happening is normal. Luckily the dealership said there was definitely a problem and they recalibrated the tranny but it's still acting up.
    Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    That sounds like a faulty (as in out of spec, not failed) torque converter to me...

Super 44 Flowmaster Straight Dual Exhaust from the Cat Back with 18" Chrome 3.5" Exhaust Tips.

Took it to Serra Chevrolet this morning for the appointment, looks like they're going to keep it for a few days. They put me in a Chevy Captiva (Looks just like the Saturn Vue).

Told them what you said about the out of spec torque converter so maybe they'll think about it instead of just guessing.

I'll net you know when I hear something.

Any updates on this? I am curious about the resolution.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Still in the rental SUV, haven't heard a peep out of the dealership but I have been monitoring my mileage through my OnStar app, they've put nearly 30 miles on it since they got it... Likely hear something today, if not I'll call and get an update.

I never thought about doing that. That is a great idea. Let us know what happens! It is funny when you said you took it Serra I had to look at your location. We have Serra in Michigan. Apparently they are headquartered near me and are in the top ten of privately help automotive groups. I hope that they can fix your issue

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Three days without my truck and I get it back without anything done to it. They acknowledge there is jerking and pushing from the transmission but there's nothing they can do about it. They gave me a piece of paper from GM that says they are aware of the transmission and exactly the issues that I'm complaining about but that the transmission is doing exactly what they programmed it to do.......... What kind of BULLSH*T is that? 50 THOUSAND dollar truck and it shifts like a 30 year old 3speed tranny. I am not a happy camper boys!

I would go to the dealer, get the service manager and the keys to the exact some truck on the lot. Take him for a ride and show him that the truck on the lot is not pushing, then get back in yours with him and show him the push. You have to go straight to the top of the service department. I think that it may be time to talk to @GM Customer Service ! Evan seems pretty helpful. If you do not get the answers you want then go higher up. From my experience with gm customer service the more you push and complain the more likely they are to help. I had a seat frame break on my 1995 silverado. I was 115lbs at the time and the dealer I took it to put a blanket on my warranty due to a lift kit (truck had 15k miles on it), so no dealer would touch it . I called customer service and they told me that I was SOL. I asked for a supervisor, then another supervisor, then another. I ended up talking to someone at the GM Tech center and they completely reinstated my warranty and honored my extended power train warranty for 10 years, 100,000 miles. They covered everything after that. The multiple shift solenoids that went out in the trans, the blown rear end.. everything, probably things that they should have not covered running 35's at the time. If you have it in so many times for the same issue then you may have a lemon law case.

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast