GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cowpie View Post
    I can believe that. With the 3 full shot glasses of oil and other contaminates that my PCV oil catch can captured in 6000 miles, I am sure glad I put it on my 2013 5.3L. That would explain how your intake was soaked in oil. I capture it before it makes it to the intake. Imagine that stuff caking on the intake valves. And it is common knowledge, that oil in the combustion chamber will reduce the octane rating of the fuel and possibly cause the ECM to revert to other settings to compensate for knock and that would be a bad thing for fuel mileage.

Not stopping a simple problem can lead to more difficult problems.

As opposed to doing reactive maintenance, I chose the proactive route with my 2013. I really was not aware of these AFM issues when I actually bought it, it was in doing more reading and searching online about the ride before picking it up after the dealer final touches that I came across all of this stuff. So, right out of the gate when I brought the pickup home, new, from the dealer, I shut down the AFM function on the engine and installed an oil catch can. I dumped the factory fill oil at 1190 miles, and filled with full synthetic.
    Even with the AFM shut down you still got a lot of oil out of your catch can didnt you? I thought I remember you saying there was quite a bit in it.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Charlie: A lot of the issue with the AFM system losing oil has to do with individual cylinder and piston cooling, when a cylinder is shut down even for a few seconds it begins to cool, the piston and rings also cool but at different rates than the cylinder being the neighboring cylinders are still producing heat and transfering it via the block.
    GM engineers believe via this method the rings are allowing excessive oil loss due to the differing cooling rates.
    Under normal circumstances a cylinder, piston, and rings would cool at a much closer rate being that all cylinders would be not running/building heat, which in turn wouldnt be transferred to the non-running cylinder.
    Something engineers seemed to over look or just didnt care about was the old NorthStar 1st gen engines (late 70's and early 80's) were terrible about oil fouling the plugs. GM had a recall for them around 81/82 to put an anti fouling extension in the block for the plugs and to swap the factory plugs for a hotter version. A friends mom went through 2 engines on her 80 Sedan Deville before the vehicle was bought back by Caddilac. Those engines used the same cylinder shutdown theory being used now, technology has gotten better but obviously it has developed enough to defeat all the old gremlins.
    TBPLUS- old answer but good answer.
    I distinctly remember the problems GM had with those old 4-6-8 ENGINES??
    I forget exactly what GM called them-but it was something like 4-6-8??
    Seem to remember seeing a chrome "decal" on the fenders
    They were the original NORTHSTARS? Wow you would think GM would have DUMPED that name-they were BAD engines- heck the 350 diesel was WORSE but not MUCH worse.

How do OTHER manufacturers handle the potential "oil consumption" increase due to different cooling rates expansion contraction-"rings" don't seal right aspect?
    Honda Toyota Ford etc ALL have used some sort of cylinder shutdown for a LONG time-maybe 15-20 years?

PS Did you replace the TD Cruise with another TD cruise- or did you get some other smallish car?
    Best deal in history-$20,000 for a TD Cruise(sic)-shame about it-but family not seriously injured so.....after that sort of horrendous wreck... WOW- guess it was pretty well designed

Charlie

PS Eventually I will replace my 1998 Suburban-225,000 miles-with a newer used Suburban-but I will go for a 2004-2006 because I want lay flat seats(we sleep in it on trips) and just as soon not deal with any oil consumption problems
    Besides I'm cheap and a 2004 is $6000 or more cheaper than a 2007.
    Now isn't the time to buy-low gas prices means used 1/2 ton SUVs aren't as cheap as they are when gas is $3.50-$4.00-just as well since we have lots of other things to catch up on now that we are both getting SS and have steadier income
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Havent looked at the othe mfgr issues much, I do know Toyota has some oil issues but it isnt widespread as GM's
    Wife went back to driving the HHR, we havent settled on the Cruize yet, they tried too lowball since I owned the car outright, I got a lawyer involved and were fighting through it. Probably end up in court if something doesnt happen soon.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Havent looked at the othe mfgr issues much, I do know Toyota has some oil issues but it isnt widespread as GM's
    Wife went back to driving the HHR, we havent settled on the Cruize yet, they tried too lowball since I owned the car outright, I got a lawyer involved and were fighting through it. Probably end up in court if something doesnt happen soon.
    Typical insurance company CS-what a surprise.I really hate insurance companies-car health etc-all cut from the same chiseling cloth!

I know toyota had the oil sludge-gumming up the engine problem- on and off for a long time-maybe they have solved that?
    Hard to believe GM has allowed this problem to fester -guessing it is less common than forum complaints would lead you to believe-maybe 1/100 1/1000
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    Typical insurance company CS-what a surprise.I really hate insurance companies-car health etc-all cut from the same chiseling cloth!

I know toyota had the oil sludge-gumming up the engine problem- on and off for a long time-maybe they have solved that?
    Hard to believe GM has allowed this problem to fester -guessing it is less common than forum complaints would lead you to believe-maybe 1/100 1/1000
    Toyota had some issues with the valve timing system they use and the oil not properly creating the timing correct lock due to draining down. the use of synthetic oil of the proper viscosity did reduce these issues. problem with the Toyota engine is to break it down is a big job...

as far as oil consumption or transmission issues Toyota is far superior to GM with/comparing Toyota to GM and these new late model engines drive trains.

this gm oil issue is not going away...

Pat10,

Hey there! Thank you for being a loyal GM Customer! I understand that you just purchased a new to you vehicle. I just wanted to stop by and let you know that GM Customer Care is here on the forum and happy to assist you with any general questions or concerns you may have with any GM product. We are only a private message away!

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    Toyota had some issues with the valve timing system they use and the oil not properly creating the timing correct lock due to draining down. the use of synthetic oil of the proper viscosity did reduce these issues. problem with the Toyota engine is to break it down is a big job...

as far as oil consumption or transmission issues Toyota is far superior to GM with/comparing Toyota to GM and these new late model engines drive trains.

this gm oil issue is not going away...
    Various significant problems can drag on.
    Honda for example took about 5-6 years to solve the problem they had with their 5 speed AT in the V-6- fair number of failures-2000-2005 I think.
    Chrysler-Plymouth was infamous for the AT in their vans-they failed after 60,000 miles-this went on for many years
    These 5.3's shouldn't fail-if you watch the oil level closely.
    Granted-new truck-you don't expect a 2010 vintage truck to use 1 qt per 1000 miles-that is 1950's-1960's "normal"
    Now most vehicles use a quart and a little change between 7500 mile oil changes
    Hell my 1998 5.7 225,000 miles- LEAKS oil-noticable amount under truck-but it doesn't use 1 quart per 1000 miles-leak and all!
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

I have the same issue, 2008 Silverado LT 5.3. I have no compression on Cyl 4, reporting a misfire, was cyl 6 then service Stabilitrak, Traction Control off, service traction control. Does anyone have a difinitive answer. I took it to my local shop and they havent a clue. I am reluctant to take it to the dealer, because of the horror stories listed in some of the threads. 82,000 mile and truly disappointed. Any help would be great.
    Thanks,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by dpatrckunc View Post
    I have the same issue, 2008 Silverado LT 5.3. I have no compression on Cyl 4, reporting a misfire, was cyl 6 then service Stabilitrak, Traction Control off, service traction control. Does anyone have a difinitive answer. I took it to my local shop and they havent a clue. I am reluctant to take it to the dealer, because of the horror stories listed in some of the threads. 82,000 mile and truly disappointed. Any help would be great.
    Thanks,
    David
    I bought my 2007 Chevy Avalanche flexfuel LC9 engine at 83,000 miles. From the very first oil change, this puppy has been leaking oil. Every time without fail, the computer reads 50% oil life remaining, and low oil. I don't know how many quarts per miles that boils down to but it seemed excessive. The first time it happened, I took it to my trusted oil change shop and they filled it back up and said "eh, thats normal with a high mileage vehicle". I'm a female and don't know much about cars, so I took the professionals advice and came back every 50% oil life remaining and had them add oil.

My truck has about 125,000 miles on it, according to the mechanic. The wiring harness went out so I don't know for sure. Three weeks ago I was parked idling, and the something happened and the engine started idling rough. When I started driving there was a miss in the engine. I took it to auto zone for diagnostics and got p 0300 cylinder 4 misfire. Traction control light is flashing, check engine light flashing. Replaced spark plug, no help. Replaced coil pack and spark plug, no help. Started smoking from exhaust. Took it to the shop, they said zero compression from the cylinder 4 and zero movement on rocker arm coming from camshaft. Then told me to replace the entire engine for $5000 that I definitely do not have. Owe $10,500 on a pretty yard decoration.

I have no idea what to do now. Any advice?

Thanks
    Jennifer

Thanks
    Jennifer

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Jennifers13;608596]I bought my 2007 Chevy Avalanche flexfuel LC9 engine at 83,000 miles. From the very first oil change, this puppy has been leaking oil. Every time without fail, the computer reads 50% oil life remaining, and low oil. I don't know how many quarts per miles that boils down to but it seemed excessive. The first time it happened, I took it to my trusted oil change shop and they filled it back up and said "eh, thats normal with a high mileage vehicle". I'm a female and don't know much about cars, so I took the professionals advice and came back every 50% oil life remaining and had them add oil.

My truck has about 125,000 miles on it, according to the mechanic. The wiring harness went out so I don't know for sure. Three weeks ago I was parked idling, and the something happened and the engine started idling rough. When I started driving there was a miss in the engine. I took it to auto zone for diagnostics and got p 0300 cylinder 4 misfire. Traction control light is flashing, check engine light flashing. Replaced spark plug, no help. Replaced coil pack and spark plug, no help. Started smoking from exhaust. Took it to the shop, they said zero compression from the cylinder 4 and zero movement on rocker arm coming from camshaft. Then told me to replace the entire engine for $5000 that I definitely do not have. Owe $10,500 on a pretty yard decoration.

I have no idea what to do now. Any advice?

Thanks
    Jennifer

** Update**

Well after calling Chevy today asking if they offered any sort of assistance for their engine problems, they told me I should first take it to a Chevy Dealership. Since I don't want to drive the Avalanche and ruin anything else at the moment, I started by going down there and asking their opinion first. They told me they could probably offer assistance if I had bought the truck from them, but since I didn't they couldn't help. They turned me down for a trade in, and offered me a $1200 loan towards a $6500 rebuilt engine. The guy who quoted me the price of the new engine told me he personally wouldn't invest that much money into my truck if he were in my shoes. He also said the engine would use a lot of my old parts, as if that were a bad thing. I told him an independent dealership offered me a Jasper reman engine plus labor for $4600 and he said that was a good option because Jasper includes mostly new parts and was a reputable company.

So for all of you Chevy Avalanche owners out there, my advice: Take your chevy to the dealership before 100,000 miles so that your oil consumption problem is documented!!!!! You do not want to be in my boat right now!!! If I had been to the dealership when I first noticed the oil problem I think I would get some assistance. I did NOT expect a well maintained expensive truck to be a yard ornament when I still owe $10,500 on the thing!!!!!! I, personally, will never ever ever buy a chevy again, and since I work at Nascar and talk to people all day about cars, I will never have a nice thing to say about Chevy again. I know every car will have it's problems, but I have a f650 a f450 and a Nissan Pathfinder, used to have a f250, Ford econoline van, a Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition, a Honda accord, 2 Jeep Grand Cherokees, a Toyota corolla, two toyota Camrys, and a Kenworth have NEVER had any huge mechanical issues with this low of Mileage!
    *end rant*

Good luck to everyone who owns an Avalanche! *fingers crossed you wont have my horrible experience*
    Jennifer

Legend

Yikes!
    I almost feel guilty we have had such good luck with the 98 suburban we bought in 2007 with 195,000 miles on it-it has been a winner-225,400 miles-still getting good mpg-
    Granted it leaks some oil-and some coolant-but after all those miles-who cares

You certainly have my sympathy-hard to believe a truck could go so sour with so few miles

Oh-the Jasper engines-supposed to be pretty good-$4600-seems fair.
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast