GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Water Pump Hints

Hi everyone,
    I'm a 1st time poster but a long time reader. My 2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1's water pump is leaking through the discharge hole, so I decided to change it before the bearing freezes up. The Yukon's got a 101K on it and the climate I live in is pretty hot in the summertime, so I didn't want to push it anymore. The last time I changed a water pump was in the early 80's and on my old 1979 GMC Jimmy, and my Yukon is no Jimmy.

Anyway I'm changing all the belts, tensioners, pulleys, hoses, thermostat and I'm having the radiator cleaned and roded out. Are there any potential problem areas that you guys know of that could help me along?

Thanks in advance.
    2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500
    8.1 Liter, 4:10

I was stationed out in lemoore CA for a few years and honestly I think if your wanting to run cooler temps you need to look into a bigger radiator. I ran dual electric fans in my truck with a thermostat that kicked in at a lower temp and it didn't do anything that I could see. It's going to be more costly but I feel it would be worth it for you.
    2000 single cab short bed 1500 w/ 6.0 vortec maxx swap from a 2006 2500, custom intake, slotted brakes, shorty headers, 8mm wires, electric fan, strait piped, 4.5 inch lift, asp pulleys, true dual through body exhaust, built trans w/ shift kit, custom tune ... 320rwhp

Jr. Apprentice

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have a cooling problem, its just maintenance. My 3/4 ton XL has been great with the heat, whether I'm pulling my travel trailer to Sequoia National Park or running to Vegas through the Mojave Desert in the summertime. It never gets hot and I'm sure the Oil & Tranny coolers help. I also have a 2006 GMC Sierra with a 5.3 that has the dual electric fans. I don't think it cools any better than the traditional heavy duty fan.

The water pump has to be replaced at some point. It's better for me to chose the time and place to do it. I thought I read somewhere that OEM hoses had lifetime warranties on them but they're at least (12) years old now and my water pump to intake manifold hose is bulging, so I'm sure the others aren't far behind.

Growing up in the 60's, we we're taught to change our radiator hoses every (5) years and the coolant every two. My Dad always carried spare hoses, belts and a pump when on trips and his philosophy payed off more than once. I'm sure that technology has improved on the materials used in the construction of hoses and belts but I rather nip it in the bud.

Anyway, I'm hoping that someone has a potential pitfall to watch out for.