GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Default Another 5.3 with AFM bites the dust ~ Chevrolet Active Fuel Management Problems

History:
    Bought truck new- 2007 Silverado Crew Cab LTZ Z71 4x4 with 5.3 and active fuel management.

All was great for a while, first new vehicle I'd ever owned.

At 54,500 miles check engine light comes on and has misfire-dealer diagnosed as no compression on cylinder7, Replaced collapsed lifter.

At 80,300 miles check engine light comes on and engine develops loud knocking-dealer diagnosed agressive lifters/lifter oil filter dirty/P0521 oil pressure sender fluctuation, they replaced all left side lifters.

At 90,800 miles check engine light comes on yet again-dealer diagnosed as another P0521 code and replaces sending unit. Although this time I have to pay for it as it's considered an electrical component and not covered under the 100,000 mile powertrain waranty.

At around 100,000 miles oil consumption starts getting bad. Close to a quart every 1000 miles. Looking back and after reading up on this topic, I figure this started much earlier, I just didn't think much of it at the time.

Now at 116,500 miles check enigne light comes on with misfire-dealer diagnosed as needing tune up (spark plugs, wires, and intake manifold cleaning) and quote me $720.00. This didn't seem right to me, but I told them to go ahead if that would fix it. Then get a call the following day that two cylinders have no compression and they are recommending an engine replacement to the tune of $7200.00.

I had hoped to just get the thing fixed enough to get rid of the check engine light so it would pass the state inspection then trade it off in the next few months. Now here I sit with a nice $40k truck that is otherwise in great shape and I've been happy with except for the engine which appears to be a complete lemon.

Looking for some opinions here. Obviously i'm not crazy about having to spend $7200. Although I'm supposed to get a call from the service manager on monday to see if he can do anything. Service writer couldn't do much. I'm hoping the dealer can work with GM and they'd be willing to at least reduce the price some, but won't be holding my breath. Seems like I don't have much choice other than to replace the enigne since it's only worth it's weight in scrap metal as it sits. Maybe with a new engine I could go another 3-4 years before getting another vehicle. I'd pretty much have to after sinking that much money into it. Could consider a junk yard engine and a shade tree mechanic, but that seems kinda iffy to me as well. Thoughts???
    Last edited by Steve; 01-24-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

First off Welcome....

Alot of us have been getting problems with our 5.3 motors and the Great GM CRAP computer controlled AFM. I'm getting my motor rebuilt in the next few weeks and now (I think) because of a Heavy Blue smoke one of my 02 Sensors are bad but they tell me they will not cover it.. The service writer I have known for over 20 years and he knows ALL of my past GM trucks have gone over 100K with NO motor problems... I told him right out Fix it or the truck goes THROUGH the new Windows they are putting in now at the dealership!!!I've got 90K on it and I will not stand for this CRAP!!!

I am taking this as High in GM as I can.. As a member of SEMA I know some higher people at GM and will be sending them all Letters...

You know the saying.. Something good happens you tell 2-5 people, Something bad you tell 8-10 people...

ME!!! Something like this!!! I tell the WORLD!!!!!!

I also just replaced my Evap that we are all having problems with... My dealer said they are doing a few a week.. WE should NOT have to pay for this.... GM knows of the problem...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

makes me want to go into the tuner and turn the AFM off. this is scaring me alot. i dont have the mileage you guys do, so it shouldnt be an issue for a while regardless, but its still not good. this makes me wonder if the 6.2s in the vortec maxs are having these same issues as well, i would guess not since they are not AFM engines.

@hblock72 - sorry to hear of your troubles. seems like GM owes ya something. you might try a salvage yard and see if you can find a lower mileage 5.3 donor engine.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

hblock72,

Could you DM me your information (full name, number, address, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer) along with any other additional information on your issue so I can look into your situation?

Evan, GM Customer Service

- - - Updated - - -

Enkeiavalanche,

I'm sorry to hear about your issues. If you would like to send me your information, I could check in with your dealership?

Legend
    Blog Entries

What state do you live in?? I live in Ohio, and I have bought multiple engine from cleveland pick a part. They are a salvage yard that specializes in LS engines. I have bought 3 from them, and they have all been like brand new no problems. They have a Trailblazer SS 6.0 liter 4l80e dropout with 38,000 miles on it right now for $4,000 COMPLETE pedals, ecm, harness and all. That engine is 400 hp, and was more fun to drive than your 5.3 AND no more VVT crap!!!

Just a thought, no way I would spend $7,200 for a 5.3 when there are a ton of options out there.

6. Likes zuki82 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    makes me want to go into the tuner and turn the AFM off. this is scaring me alot. i dont have the mileage you guys do, so it shouldnt be an issue for a while regardless, but its still not good. this makes me wonder if the 6.2s in the vortec maxs are having these same issues as well, i would guess not since they are not AFM engines.

@hblock72 - sorry to hear of your troubles. seems like GM owes ya something. you might try a salvage yard and see if you can find a lower mileage 5.3 donor engine.

Alex
    The 6.2L on the Silverados and Sierras(non-Denali) do not have AFM. The Denali and Escalade with the 6.2L have AFM.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    The 6.2L on the Silverados and Sierras(non-Denali) do not have AFM. The Denali and Escalade with the 6.2L have AFM.

yep, knew that, thanks tho!

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

9. Thanks crashwrench01 thanked for this post

Am I lucky? My 2008 Silverado with the 5.3L engine was trouble free when I traded it in with 73K miles. The only thing my 08 did was use ~1qt of oil every 5-6K miles. My 2013 with 3500 miles (changed oil at 1K) is still on the full mark.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Well you do still have a 5.3 right? I'm more lucky I think, now having a 6.2 2500 HD.

Now how many have toasted themselves?
    Finally a signature and Avatar! I also posted some pics in the Gallery.
    2011 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Z71 6Liter.
    2011 Outback Travel Trailer 260FL
    So Happy to not be on the edge of GVWR Over Load!!

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Quote Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
    hblock72,

Could you DM me your information (full name, number, address, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer) along with any other additional information on your issue so I can look into your situation?

- - - Updated - - -

Enkeiavalanche,

I'm sorry to hear about your issues. If you would like to send me your information, I could check in with your dealership?

I will PM you all the info.. Hope you can help with this motor/AFM thing and now the 02 Sensor that I think went bad because of the Blue/Oil smoke from the first problem...

Thanks Glenn
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast