GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Update:
    Dealership called me monday and asked if I wanted a new motor or to repair the one in the truck. Told me I needed to kinda decide which way I wanted to go so they could see what they could do for me with their district service manager. (they were very vauge with this) Told them I wanted a new engine of course as this one obviously has been nothing but trouble. They told me that's what they would recommend as well as it would come with a 3yr/36K mile warranty. Then they went on to tell me the GM usually won't offer any assistance with this option and I'd still be on the hook for the $7200. They said for GM to provide any assistance, they would want to troubleshoot and repair the engine in the truck and would likely cover up to 50% of the cost. Although, not too happy about it, I chose the repair route hoping it would come in much cheaper than the $7200. So this morning I got a call from the dealer telling me they (just like before) had found collapsed lifters and replaced them and the truck was ready to be picked up and that GM was covering the cost of the repair. I would only owe for the sparkplugs/wires/tune up.

I guess I have mixed feelings on this. I'm glad I don't have a huge repair bill. On the other hand, this is probably just another band-aid fix and will likely happen again, it's now happened at 55k, 90k, and 117k, so I guess they're only good for about 30k miles. I also doubt this will fix the oil consumption problem. I guess i'm just gonna hope I can get through another few months and be looking to trade for something else and just cut my losses with this thing.

TRPLXL2: I'm in NC, so ohio's a pretty good haul

EVAN: thanks, i tried to PM you, but not sure it went through (i'm not too savy with these forums)

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Just as the Old saying goes.... They Sure as hell don't Build them like they Used to.. SAD!!!
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

This all makes me happy I got the last gen of GM engines before AFM came to be. Go 5.7L Vortec!

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Legend
    Blog Entries

All this technology is awesome in theory, but if the mechanics can't fix it then what good is it?

I'm glad you got it fixed, but just remember every vehicle is going to have lemons out there. It's inevitable.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

But too many of us and others not on this site are having the same issue's It's not good.. Bring back the Old 5.7 It was and still is A Great motor and with a little work it too can get good MPG's and last over 100K with NO problems...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    This all makes me happy I got the last gen of GM engines before AFM came to be. Go 5.7L Vortec!
    When was the first year AMF was available for the 5.3l? It was not an option in 02 or even 05. I am happy with my nonAMF 5.3l

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    When was the first year AMF was available for the 5.3l? It was not an option in 02 or even 05. I am happy with my nonAMF 5.3l
    2005 was first year with it standard in all but the LH8 engine. Not sure on prior to that, but the 5.7L is the last gen of "true" Chevy small blocks and it had no form of AFM. I wish GM never removed it from production, its one of the best engines ever built. I love mine and other than the rear main seal going I've never had a problem and that's with 198,200+ miles. Some have even reached 1,000,000 miles!

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Hmm, I have a L59, So by that theory I should have AFM if it was standard for all but the LH8. I have been meaning to ask, did that messed up noise on your passenger side head go away after all the work you did?

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Hmm, I have a L59, So by that theory I should have AFM if it was standard for all but the LH8. I have been meaning to ask, did that messed up noise on your passenger side head go away after all the work you did?
    Yah the noise has cleared up pretty much, except cold morning starts it returns for a little. PM me about it.

Btw the L59 is just fuel flex it doesn't explicitly say it is an AFM engine. The LH6, LY5, LMG, and LC9 are all AFM engines; ones prior to those I don't know.

Sorry to hear about your issues .

First off, can you tell us the history of anything else that we should know about the vehicle. Regular oil changes (and you kept proof), regular maintenance by the book, etc. What did you do with the truck? Regular driving and/or light commercial work? Did you tow heavy trailers with it a lot (not just a trailer to go camping or the boat to the beach) ... I'm just trying to get an idea for how the truck was used.

Seems like now that these engines are starting to get some age on them that a lot of people are coming forward to voice their concerns about the engine longevity. I'm going to make a register of sorts so that people with these issues can let it be known that they're seeing some issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Just as the Old saying goes.... They Sure as hell don't Build them like they Used to.. SAD!!!
    On average the longevity of engines and transmissions is going through the roof. The average major mechanical breakdown occurs now close to 190,000 when averaged across all makes/models for the last few years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    All this technology is awesome in theory, but if the mechanics can't fix it then what good is it?

I'm glad you got it fixed, but just remember every vehicle is going to have lemons out there. It's inevitable.
    That's a very good point. As these system get more and more complex, and we have shorter time-to-market cycles, I wonder if they're doing enough to engineer out all of the potential issues?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast