GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... Last Post byLast Post by
    Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Spoke to the dealership today I am down 3/4 Qt in 1500 mi from Dealer oil change.. I am going in after work Fri and see what they say.. Not happy filling my driveway with BLUE smoke every morning..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

sorry you are having all these issues man.

i hope the dealer will work with you.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Legend
    Blog Entries

Enkei are you sure you don't have piston slap?? Eating oil is a sign the rings are shot??

Legend

Nope no extra noise That I can hear... And as I said one day as I was driving at about 70mph it went from 4-8 cyl and all I saw was Blue smoke shield in the back of the truck...

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Nope no extra noise That I can hear... And as I said one day as I was driving at about 70mph it went from 4-8 cyl and all I saw was Blue smoke shield in the back of the truck...
    I see you have a ECM tune, is it in any possible that the tune can be to blame for your 5.3 engine problems?

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Legend

I've been keeping it at Stock for a while. right now the only thing I use it for is reseting the Codes so I can have my remote start

Steve:
    To answer your questions the truck has had a pretty easy life for a truck. It's main use is my daily commuter vehicle which consists of a 50 mile round trip 50% interstate and 50% rural 2 lane roads. It has never been used in any type of a commercial setting. I do have a 3500 lb boat I pull occasionaly, but less than 500 miles a year. I do all of my own oil changes so I don't have proof, but they're always done within a tank of gas from the time the oil life monitor gets to zero. Air filter is changed as needed. I changed the trans fluid at 75k miles, and recently did a brake job.

All this AFM stuff is so discouraging. It seems like about any GM board you visit you won't look far until you see a post related to oil consumption, lifter failure, etc on the newer 5.3's. I had three different GMT-800's all with the 5.3 and never saw any oil usage, or any engine problems. The current truck is a 2011 with 24K and has the 5.3 with AFM. I've known about the AFM issues before I even purchased the truck, so I've been very conscious of keeping an eye on the oil level. About 3-4 months ago I decided I was going to buy a tuner and cut off the AFM before I saw a problem. Just before the Christmas holiday I took a short 100 mile trip and lost about 1/2 quart of oil. Checked for leaks....none. I got the tuner for Christmas and cut off the AFM. I decided to run 1/2 a can of Seafoam through the oil/crankcase for about 500 miles and then I used the rest of the Seafoam through the brake booster line to clean the intake and top end. I changed the oil and filter and filled with Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30.

So far so good and it doesn't appear to be using a few hundred miles into this oil change.

I hate the pins and needles feeling of waiting to see. I know I have tons of warranty, but with only 24K miles I should be seeing any usage in my opinion. I'm going to keep a close eye on her, and if what I saw was some sort of fluke or warning, I plan on using Pennzoil Ultra and it's cleaning power to keep the rings clean, and I may run some Seafoam through the crankcase just before oil changes in the future. Guess time will tell.
    2013 Silverado Z71 LT

Legend

Well they looked And at 1232 miles I am down 3/4 Qt They told me to come back at 1800 So I said Oh kay..

Just as a follow up question: Has this problem been fixed in the newer model years or is it too soon to tell? Just thinking about all of my future options, one of them being an engine swap, but curious if I'd be at risk of having the same issues.