GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... Last Post byLast Post by
    Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Ok update Truck is running smooth.. BUT I am getting P2270 code??? I've cleared it 2 times already and it comes back.. Can this be related to the Big problem??
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Sr. Apprentice

I'm just now having this same problem. I got an 08 Z71 with just under 63K miles on it. I drove my daughter to work and when I was dropping her off as she opened her door I heard this loud ticking noise. At first I didn't want to believe it was my truck. I drove right home and checked the oil after it cooled down some and was immediately shocked when nothing was on the dipstick. I'd never checked any vehicles oil and had nothing show up before. Took 3 qts for it be at the normal level. I couldn't take it to the dealer right away since they were closed for the weekend. I am now going through the oil consumption test to see if they have to replace more parts. Thankfully I bought an extended power train warranty when I purchased it. It was a certified used truck at the time. All I've read since is horror story after horror story of this being the begining of a major problem. I've seen so many people post that if they could do it all over again that they'd just trade in the truck at the first sign of trouble. I might just do that. This is my daily driver and I put 120 miles on it daily. I hate waiting and listening for something to go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rado View Post
    I'm just now having this same problem. I got an 08 Z71 with just under 63K miles on it. I drove my daughter to work and when I was dropping her off as she opened her door I heard this loud ticking noise. At first I didn't want to believe it was my truck. I drove right home and checked the oil after it cooled down some and was immediately shocked when nothing was on the dipstick. I'd never checked any vehicles oil and had nothing show up before. Took 3 qts for it be at the normal level. I couldn't take it to the dealer right away since they were closed for the weekend. I am now going through the oil consumption test to see if they have to replace more parts. Thankfully I bought an extended power train warranty when I purchased it. It was a certified used truck at the time. All I've read since is horror story after horror story of this being the begining of a major problem. I've seen so many people post that if they could do it all over again that they'd just trade in the truck at the first sign of trouble. I might just do that. This is my daily driver and I put 120 miles on it daily. I hate waiting and listening for something to go wrong.
    Red Rado,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. Please keep us posted of the results of your dealer visit.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis (assisting Evan)
    GM Customer Service

Legend

Well No more Blue smoke for me so far BUT I am still getting P2270 Code and I can't use my remote start.. Is this related to the Oil Case?????

The truck i have now, i pruchased with 73k miles on it, 09 silverado 5.3. The carfax state it has had the camshaft(s) replaced with remand cam(s), and has had the fuel pump replaced. I also know it has an aftermarket rearend in it cause of the lift. So now, reading this, i am worried that i am paying monthly for this truck, and its going to go bad on me...Any input on anything i can to do prevent any of this? Thanks guys
    2009 Silverado 1500 LT
    -6" Rough Country lift, 20" incubus recoils, 35 x 12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers, RBP Side steps, Frontier fron replacement bumper(kindoff pre runner style), pioneer 7" double din, pioneer door speakers, 4.10 gears, K&N CAI

i just bought a 2012 thunder edition silverado with the 5.3. and i gotta say this is all a little unnerving. im glad i have a family member who is a mechanic but i still dont want to have to get the motor torn apart all the time. does anyone kow if the 2012 trucks have this issue?

Legend

I think they fixed it after 2010 What to look for?? Oil low after 1000-1500 miles after a change, Or Blue smoke at start up or while driving when the AFM goes from 4-8 cly...

mine did that right at 41000 popped a code for evap problems the shut down on me pon the highway with about 25 trouble codes. turned out needed to replace evap preassure switch and oil preassure sending unit but when the mechanics started they called me asking for permission to change the oil because there was none on the dipstick so had it fixed that time at checked the oil at 2000 like they said seemed fine so now at 44 checked the oil the other day nothing on the stick. called dealer they said to put oil in it till its registering then bring it in so they can change it and start consumption test on it. i sent an email to gm about this got a reply they were going to call me to talk about it. i explained to them being in the military and the fact that the dealer service place is closed on saturday its going to be very hard for me to do this because i cannot leave my wife and kids without her car while mine is in the shop for something stupid but the girl didnt want to ear that she kept saying she ws going to make a note that i didnt want them to look at it and that was not the case. she also said these cases are rare and are being delt with when they come up and that gm was not aware of a problem with these engines. it sucks to no end i paid 38000 miles for this truck and its basically lasted only 3 years. think i might be moving on soon away from the problems.

eightbol21,

Could you please PM me your information (name, number, address, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer) so I can look into your situation?

Evan, GM Customer Service

Sr. Apprentice

Louis; I will do that. I have to take it in this week to have it checked. For the others reading this, when you took it in to have the oil consumption measured, did they actually measure how much oil was used or just look at the reading on the dipstick? I have kept an eye on mine and the level has dropped but you can't be accurate with just eyeballing it. At least it wasn't dry. I'm hoping it's good but I want to be covered just in case its not.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... Last Post byLast Post by