GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

There is something to be said for just dropping in a crate motor and doing things to it out of the gate to ensure problems down the road are minimized instead of playing game with chasing problems on a motor already in the vehicle. Especially out of warranty.
    Hey there, VA, what do ya' say? How many vets did you kill today?

2. Thanks Matracer thanked for this post

2007 Yukon + Two Lifters Collapsed = 16 New Lifters + New Cam = $3,000 ($4,700 if I let the dealer do it) = a very disappointed and broke GM customer.

At what point does GM step in and recall what is obviously a huge problem. Considering this is a leading topic on most forums related to the 5.3L with AFM, this is poor customer care. I hate to leave the GM buying community, but if I can't trust my truck to get at least 150K without a rebuild and GM is turning its back, there is little choice.

Sr. Mechanic

Roach-how many miles on the truck?

I would be sure to get a range technologies AFM delete. I wonder how much companies are charging for a rebuilt 5.3L AFM motor. I am pretty sure that I can get a new complete 5.3L for my 2005 for around $4500. I think I will inquire just because I am curious.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Roachtuc View Post
    2007 Yukon + Two Lifters Collapsed = 16 New Lifters + New Cam = $3,000 ($4,700 if I let the dealer do it) = a very disappointed and broke GM customer.

At what point does GM step in and recall what is obviously a huge problem. Considering this is a leading topic on most forums related to the 5.3L with AFM, this is poor customer care. I hate to leave the GM buying community, but if I can't trust my truck to get at least 150K without a rebuild and GM is turning its back, there is little choice.
    Yeah that really sucks.. I feel that a truck should at least be warrantied for as long as they allow you to pay for it like 7 years or 70k who wants to be paying 500+ a month for a truck and have to put money into major repairs on top of it.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

This certainly sucks for you folks.
    My used 98 suburban-225,500 miles-so durable-despite leaking oil and coolant-I wouldn't be scared to drive it to AZ again-3000 miles round trip-energizer bunny truck

All manufacturers have chronic problems-this AFM one-no doubt sucks
    We just got our 2006 Prius back-yeah my other car IS a Prius
    84,500 miles 7 years 10 1/2 months-traction battery DIED-no shoot-
    44 days INSIDE the warranty.I would be out $3500 if it had happened 45 days later.
    Yeah I would be screaming on every prius hybrid forum-and this FORUM if this had happened on 4-23-2014
    you guys have reason to be hot-I would try to work with GM USA CUSTOMER SERVICE- bypass dealer to some extent-get some rep you can maintain a relationship with-ask for some HELP- $$$- discount etc- be persistent polite
    Yeah it sucks-motors are supposed to last 200,000 miles now-not 1965 when 80,000 miles was high miles rebuild time
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Quote Originally Posted by CKNSLS View Post
    Roach-how many miles on the truck?
    I got 120K out of the original lifters... so I guess I should consider myself lucky compared to some of the posts I've seen. But I expect a $40K automobile that's well taken care of to last.

What a mess! SO glad I have the 4.8 cast iron block engine!

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122