GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: synthetic oil

Jr. Mechanic

Default synthetic oil

Has anyone had any experiance with Royal Purple Oil? Good,Bad or Indifferant?

That's all I run in my truck. I use their HPS version. I like it... it seems to stay cleaner longer with regards to carbon pollutants in the oil (I.e. when the oil starts to brown and get that smell). Of course this is just my observations... no scientific data.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

I used to get RP for free. So, I had it in everything. Lawn mover, snow blower, truck, wife's car. I never had an issue with it. I was told by an ams oil rep that between RP and mobile one that mobile one is better. He said that research shows that RP breaks down faster than mobile one. That being said, I don't know that someone that drives a truck would have to worry about the break down of the oil like someone who runs a racecar under extreme conditions would. I currently run Mobile 1. I can get it at Wally world for $21 for a 5+ quart jug.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I believe it is a superior product, but only my opinion; I am using it right now (I've only used it for two changes).

Unless you are using the truck under very extreme conditions, all oils meeting GM specs will meet your requirements.

I have used synthetic oil for many, many years, for two reasons, it will provide a little improvement in gas mileage and it does not thicken in cold temps, making it very good for winter starting.

Why did I go with RP? Easy, the guy who changes my oil switched, he buys it in bulk.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Jr. Mechanic

Thank you all for your input. The truck will be pretty much just a driver. Just want it to last, too expensive not to take care of. Next question, what about synthetics ATF's?

yes! i looove RP!!
    i ust to think lucas and thick oil was the only way to go to get good results... and in old worn cast iron saginaw transmissions thats true. in high millage worn out engines thats true...

but in transmissions, transfer cases, and diffs, nothing is better for them than RP. you only change that oil ever 20,000 miles, min anyway... so might as well invest in something good
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

I've never had any dealings with Royal Purple synthetic oil, but I do hear that people that use it are satisfied with it. I use Mobil 1 5W-30 with no issues as well.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Jr. Mechanic

Love the feedback,gathering good info on a decision.

Of course, modern lubrication technology has made quantum leaps in regard to chemically bonding and variable viscosity. After 26 years of running dino oil in my Silverado, I wonder if things would have been any better if we had this stuff years ago. Or perhaps I didn't have to do so many oil changes... Maybe could have cut the interval in half.

HHR SS_________________The Heritage Hot Rod

I always use synthetic in all my engines, even lawn mower! Mobile 1 for me because of all the good things I've read about it, and it is easy to find.

P.S., stitch, love your truck! That diamond white is just what I want in new truck!
    That old man, he don't think like no old man.
    "He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive". Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...
    "I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by