GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Does anyone use Quaker State Full synthetic oil?

There is a big box hardware type store that has the Quaker State "Enhanced Durability" Synthetic oil on sale for $4.00 a quart. Has or does anyone use quaker state? I have only used mobile 1, Royal Purple, and Fuchs brand oil. Should I steer clear of it?

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend
    Blog Entries

I won't say don't use it, but I will just tell you two cases of what I've seen. My dad had a 70 road runner 440 6 pack, always ran Quaker State oil in from new. Well when the car had about 48,000 miles he did a complete rebuild on it, he pulled out handfulls of sludge out of the engine. He never used it again.

Someone on an HHR forum I'm on also complained about excessive sludge in the ecotec engine, pictures looked just like my dads old car. They said that Quaker State has Parafin Wax in it, I don't know if that's true though.

Blog Entries

I don't use Quaker State anymore due to sludge found on Oil Filler cap
    in an old car, years ago. It was not synthetic, and was about 10 years ago.
    It never caused problems, but I do know it was the only oil I used that did
    this of : Pennzoil, Mobil One, Castrol. Now, I use many different cheap brands
    for the other 4 cars I change the oil on. Our new Crew gets Bulk GM oil
    at the Dealership evrey 3 months whether it needs it or not. Brian
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

I have decided not to buy it. I have a few gallons of Fuchs 5-30 in the garage. GM is now using that instead of royal purple or mobile 1 for engine testing. They also put it in all the executive cars when they do oil changes at the tech center. I have heard of the paraffin wax thing in the past. I have never used Quaker state and now I will not due to the sludge reports that you guys mentioned.

QS is not a very good oil at all.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I have decided not to buy it. I have a few gallons of Fuchs 5-30 in the garage. GM is now using that instead of royal purple or mobile 1 for engine testing. They also put it in all the executive cars when they do oil changes at the tech center. I have heard of the paraffin wax thing in the past. I have never used Quaker state and now I will not due to the sludge reports that you guys mentioned.

Sludge reports were based on conventional oils (not synthetic). The Quaker State synthetic is in fact a superior (to conventional) product. That being said, nothing wrong with going with something with a little more trust, either!

Me, I've used it in the past, but found I just prefer to buy Mobil 1 on sale. I get it at less than $5/quart if I watch...

Cheers,

-Skippy
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner
    -Premium Sound w/lifetime Satellite Radio | Leather | Sunroof | Heated Seats
    -Limbstriping from USING the truck (those are badges of honor)

Sr. Mechanic

On the latest Dexos list just updated Quaker State Ultimate Durabilty is listed. As well as their blend product. So it's as good (as far as GM is concerned) as anything else mainstream. Mobil One, etc.
    http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrand...sedbrands.html

If you have a Costco by you, they put the Mobil 1 5-30 and 10-30 6 pack cases on sale for $25.99, that's $4.33 a quart. For $0.33 extra, I'll stick with Mobil 1.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    If you have a Costco by you, they put the Mobil 1 5-30 and 10-30 6 pack cases on sale for $25.99, that's $4.33 a quart. For $0.33 extra, I'll stick with Mobil 1.
    I am no longer a costco member :(. I hate buying things at walmart but they the 5+quart jug of mobile 1 high mileage for $24.99. Autozone sells it for $34.99

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1st Synthetics View Post
    QS is not a very good oil at all.

Umm, Quaker State is part of SOPUS, which also has Shell and Pennzoil Brands (among others)...Really?

The whole argument about sludging was from years ago when they used Pennsylvania crude almost exclusively. Pennsylvania crude has a very high paraffin wax content, both Pennzoil and Quaker State suffered sludging because of this; Pennzoil offset the issue with massive amounts of detergents IIRC. The wax issue has been remedied by a dewaxing process during the refining.

I would not hesitate to run any oil with "dexos" on the label as that is a pretty rigorous standard, and I want to remember it has a sludging component.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast