GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    Umm, Quaker State is part of SOPUS, which also has Shell and Pennzoil Brands (among others)...Really?

The whole argument about sludging was from years ago when they used Pennsylvania crude almost exclusively. Pennsylvania crude has a very high paraffin wax content, both Pennzoil and Quaker State suffered sludging because of this; Pennzoil offset the issue with massive amounts of detergents IIRC. The wax issue has been remedied by a dewaxing process during the refining.

I would not hesitate to run any oil with "dexos" on the label as that is a pretty rigorous standard, and I want to remember it has a sludging component.
    In my experience, an engine getting "sludged" up is a result of letting the oil go well past its change interval.

I have NEVER seen an engine that had the oil changed regularly get sludged up. I have seen MANY an engine sludged up when the person lets the oil stay in WELL past the interval. The person then blames the engine or the oil and then he/she tells their friends about it.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

When I changed my oil pan gasket and rear main I cleaned the oil pan. I found about a 1/4" of sludge in one corner of the pan, but that's it and that is with 196,500 miles on the truck. There still was the factory crisscross hashing on the cylinder walls.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Sr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by silverhobey View Post
    I don't use Quaker State anymore due to sludge found on Oil Filler cap
    in an old car, years ago. It was not synthetic, and was about 10 years ago.
    It never caused problems, but I do know it was the only oil I used that did
    this of : Pennzoil, Mobil One, Castrol. Now, I use many different cheap brands
    for the other 4 cars I change the oil on. Our new Crew gets Bulk GM oil
    at the Dealership evrey 3 months whether it needs it or not. Brian
    This is the Internet. This is where people can get on forums and bash products that they used ten years ago that today are completely different. On auto/truck forums you see the bashers with Frahm Filters, Oil of alll different manufacturers, tires and especially Bosch spark plugs.

I have seen it all! My pet peeve is if you are going to bash a product, at least get up todate on WHAT IS SOLD TODAY!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    In my experience, an engine getting "sludged" up is a result of letting the oil go well past its change interval.

I have NEVER seen an engine that had the oil changed regularly get sludged up. I have seen MANY an engine sludged up when the person lets the oil stay in WELL past the interval. The person then blames the engine or the oil and then he/she tells their friends about it.
    To be honest there were Toyota 6cylinder motors creating their own sludge in their mini-vans a few years ago, Toyota paid many dollars in claims and shotened the factory oil change interval.

Former Member

Obviously I'm speaking to a crowd that is way too young...my discussion predates the 70s, when the idea that Quaker State was a sludge-causing oil. And that has a lot of truth to it...I've tore engines down that had Quaker State ran in them (again, back in the day), and the valley would be completely loaded with sludge. You could tell what oil was run by the amount of sludge under the valley pan. A same engine, ran with another oil, would be completely clean.

My point is that modern oils are very good, and the argument that a certain oil makes more sludge than another is an old wives tail, unless the engine itself is a sludger.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    When I changed my oil pan gasket and rear main I cleaned the oil pan. I found about a 1/4" of sludge in one corner of the pan, but that's it and that is with 196,500 miles on the truck. There still was the factory crisscross hashing on the cylinder walls.

Although a different animal, I've seen diesels torn down with almost half a million miles on them that had no sludge in them. But diesel oils tend to have a lot more detergents than those meant for gasoline engines.

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    Although a different animal, I've seen diesels torn down with almost half a million miles on them that had no sludge in them. But diesel oils tend to have a lot more detergents than those meant for gasoline engines.
    Also my truck was bought used and who knows what oils have been in it over time. Personally I use high quality non synthetic because I have a small leak in a cooler line that if synthetic was used would gush. As soon as that is fixed I will go for synthetic. I've since owning the truck have run both synthetic and dino oil and she seems to run the same pretty much, just a quieter start with synthetic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CKNSLS View Post
    This is the Internet. This is where people can get on forums and bash products that they used ten years ago that today are completely different. On auto/truck forums you see the bashers with Frahm Filters, Oil of alll different manufacturers, tires and especially Bosch spark plugs.

I have seen it all! My pet peeve is if you are going to bash a product, at least get up todate on WHAT IS SOLD TODAY!

- - - Updated - - -

To be honest there were Toyota 6cylinder motors creating their own sludge in their mini-vans a few years ago, Toyota paid many dollars in claims and shotened the factory oil change interval.
    not bashing products, just stating what happened as compared to others here with Quaker State
    in the past. Unfortunately, I do know quite a few people in the same boat who do not
    go on any forums/sites. All of my oil changes have, and continue to be a 3 - month
    rotation whether they hit the mileage mark or not. Our vehicles never hit anywhere
    near the mileage they tell you before an oil change is due.
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

One thing to also keep in mind, is that the oil classifications now, are extremely rigid in such a way that almost every name brand oil on the shelf nowadays is pretty good. There really are only small variations amongst them. If an oil is going to meet API or ILSAC specs, and dexos also, it is going to have to fit within a pretty rigid set of parameters regarding base oil and add pack. Very little wiggle room. We are in a whole new era regarding motor oils and the perceptions we had just 20 years ago are invalid. A motor oil may exceed the specs all it wants, but there is not much room for playing games in meeting the specs.
    Hey there, VA, what do ya' say? How many vets did you kill today?

Quaker State Enhanced Durability is a synthetic blend oil. If you want QS fully synthetic oil get Ultimate Durability.

IMO $4 a quart for synthetic blend is rather high. Walmart sells Mobil 1 5-30 in a 5 quart jug for $22.76, and that's fully synthetic.

... Walmart sells Mobil 1 5-30 in a 5 quart jug for $22.76, and that's fully synthetic.
    Yep, that is the only thing that I go to that place for. The only thing that stinks is that I have to buy an extra quart.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Sr. Mechanic

Agree! The extra quart you need costs a lot more than the per-quart price in the 5-gallon container!