GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Transmission problem

Hey guys and gals, having a problem with my transmission. Was driving to the store and stopped at a light. When i went to take off, my truck didn't want to go. Felt like it never downshifted from OD as i approached the light and stayed in that gear. The take off was real slow. Checked the fluid and that was good. Was reading a few posts on here stating that the fluid will smell like sh** if it was bad, and no odd smell.

Drove it today and it started fine. I turned around and headed back home, and it started doing it again. Seems like it gets stuck in drive, and never shifts to over drive. I will run at 55mph, and my rmps will be at 2500. I had this problem a few years ago, and a tranny flush and filter change did the trick. Maybe the same problem? It is the original transmission and has never had work done to it, outside the fluid change. Maybe a solenoid?

The transmission would usually shift hard going into second. Not real hard, but not smooth like the others shifts. When cold it would also take a while to shift to OD. So maybe a rebuild or new tranny is needed?

Also, probably a stupid question but is it safe to drive when if it does not shift to OD? The manual says to just use drive when towing heavy loads so I would imagine it would be?
    -K&N Air Filter

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Ok quick ? Do you have a remote start in that truck? What year is it?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

No remote starter. Its a 94k1500 with 167,9xx miles.

Legend

Do you have 1st or 2nd?

Nope, just stays in that one gear and reverse.

Legend

I'm not a Trans pro.. I do know when the trans went on my 02 Avalanche It was a Ing Mod that went and locked up the truck in 3rd and 4th.