GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2001 Suburban 4wd issue

I have an 01 suburban 1500 4x4. The 4 wheel drive is push button. It's not working. I push the 4 hi or 4 low or auto and the lights switch to whatever button I push. Also, I can hear the actuator working. I have no idea what it could be. I heard if your abs light is on it won't engage so I got that problem out of the way and it's still not working. Any ideas? Thanks.

check the front actuator. Unscrew it from the axle and put it in 4x4. See if the piston moves out.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I tried that. The piston moves out. Would the 4wd not work if there wasn't any fluid in the transfer case?

Quote Originally Posted by cbe295 View Post
    I tried that. The piston moves out. Would the 4wd not work if there wasn't any fluid in the transfer case?
    It may or may not work. It may work for a short time. If yours is empty that may be why it is stuck in 4x4

It's full of fluid. It's not engaging into 4x4. It's stuck in 2wd

Maybe its the switch on the dash?>?
    00 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.3 4x4

As soon as I get money I will buy one and put it in. I got told from a guy that works at advance auto that it could be the switch or the transfer case motor.

So i put a new switch in and the 4wd still isnt working. Me and a buddy jacked the truck up and hit the 4wd button and could still spin the tires so the front end wasnt locking in.

I had to rebuild the front diff. The washer type thing in there got pushed around and messed eveything up. Thanks for the help though.