GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Listen up!

I think it does. I've only seen some pictures myself. I figured for 30 bucks you can't really go wrong. The few people who have installed it already are in love with it.

@zigger215, I'm interested but I need to know if it requires running wires under the hoodliner. Can you find out?

I ask because, if so, that's a non-starter for me since my cowl induction hood required a custom hoodliner -- and I used chemical resistant aircraft firewall material that's glued to the hood with 3M spray adhesive. (If so it's also a pity I didn't know about this about 4 months ago when doing the hoodliner!)

I would be concerned about the hood pin switch. I have seen tons of them go bad on remote start systems causing them not to work. If it went bad from being in the rust belt, wouldn't the light stay on? I know that they are low power consumption LED's but I would still be concerned.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

there is an awesome location for a hood pin on our trucks that won't fail. When I get home from prudhoe bay, I'll take a quick pic and post it. I've never had one fail on a nbs Chevy and lots of the nnbs Chevys have a factory hoodpin wire you can tap into

Your point is certainly a good one as I can see its the only possible weakness in the system.
    Last edited by zigger215; 01-22-2013 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zigger215 View Post
    there is an awesome location for a hood pin on our trucks that won't fail. When I get home from prudhoe bay, I'll take a quick pic and post it. I've never had one fail on a nbs Chevy and lots of the nnbs Chevys have a factory hoodpin wire you can tap into

Your point is certainly a good one as I can see its the only possible weakness in the system.
    Yea, that was the only issue that I could see. I have had so many cars in with remote starters installed at best buy or mickey shore. They always just install the hood in the far front on the fender. I would say 90% of the time the hood pin is the issue with the remote starter not working.

Yes I do agree there. When I install an auto start for a friend I do not put a hood pin in for that reason. However, best buy installers are jokes, second, there is a place on the back drivers side lip, right next to the spring on the hinge that is perfect, like I side I'll get a pic of that too for you guys when I can. It is on the nbs trucks and it is fail proof

Here's a thought, instead of using a hoodpin as the trigger, wire it to the cargo light switch? Use that as your switch. Just thought about that.

Lol, good idea! Except my yukon xl does not have a cargo light! I would probably just get a good weather proof switch and put it under the hood.

That's a good idea too, lotta options with a fairly simple kit such as this one. I think for the $30 price tag, you almost can't afford to NOT have it on the truck

im gonna have to look into this as well. seems like something i need to add.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers