GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Default 1999 silverado prndl switch????????

    i have a 99 silverado z71 , i bought it needing the trans rebuilt. recently i had it rebuilt and its having a problem with the gear indicator on the instrument cluster. all other gears it shows but when i go from a gear to drive it takes 2-3 seconds for the trans to go into drive. what could this be ? the guy who rebuilt it is telling me a prndl switch? is this correct

  2. #2
    Legend


    Enkeiavalanche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....
    Posts
    5,361

    Default

    Could be or some loose linkage...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

  3. #3
    Master Mechanic zigger215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    551

    Default

    Sounds like there is still a problem in the transmission. Did he give you a warranty with it? I'd say the problem isn't fixed, take it back.

  4. #4

    Default

    1 year warranty in writing, i dropped it off and told him if thats what he thinks it needs then put it on . i told him i dont want to drive it like that and something happen to it. i want to pick it up shifting perfect like factory




    Quote Originally Posted by zigger215 View Post
    Sounds like there is still a problem in the transmission. Did he give you a warranty with it? I'd say the problem isn't fixed, take it back.

  5. #5
    Master Mechanic zigger215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    551

    Default

    Me needs to do it for free

  6. #6

    Default

    he said its not in the transmission so its not his fault

  7. #7
    Master Mechanic zigger215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    551

    Default

    It is in the transmission. He sounds super shady.

  8. #8

    Default

    I would take it to another trans shop. Most will check it out for free. Don't tell them the situation with the other shop, they might be friends with the other guy. Just tell them the issue and let them tell you what they think is wrong. I have heard of a check valve being stuck open and letting the torque converter drain. So, when you put it in gear the converter needs to refill before the trans engages. That was on a 97 dodge ram though, I don't know much about GM transmissions.

    1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

    2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

  9. #9

    Default

    its not in the trans its on the side by the linkage.. isnt everybody shady that does mechanic/trans work? the only person i trust is myself but since i cant rebuild one im stuck. i fear its something in the trans so thats why i told him to put one on it to see if it fixes it. if not he will be taking the whole trans out and figuring it out




    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I would take it to another trans shop. Most will check it out for free. Don't tell them the situation with the other shop, they might be friends with the other guy. Just tell them the issue and let them tell you what they think is wrong. I have heard of a check valve being stuck open and letting the torque converter drain. So, when you put it in gear the converter needs to refill before the trans engages. That was on a 97 dodge ram though, I don't know much about GM transmissions.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jstephens View Post
    its not in the trans its on the side by the linkage.. isnt everybody shady that does mechanic/trans work? the only person i trust is myself but since i cant rebuild one im stuck. i fear its something in the trans so thats why i told him to put one on it to see if it fixes it. if not he will be taking the whole trans out and figuring it out

    I understand that the switch is not in the trans! I am saying that if you pay to replace the switch and it does not fix it then take it somewhere and have them check it out.

Similar Threads

  1. Tahoe silverado 1998 1999 2000 blower fan speed switch
    By ChevyFan in forum Chevy Parts eBay
    Replies: 0
    Last: 10-19-2011, 03:20 PM
  2. Tahoe silverado 1998 1999 2000 blower fan speed switch
    By ChevyFan in forum Chevy Parts eBay
    Replies: 0
    Last: 07-28-2011, 05:30 PM
  3. Sierra silverado 1999 2000 2001 2002 button 4wd switch
    By ChevyFan in forum Chevy Parts eBay
    Replies: 0
    Last: 04-11-2011, 01:20 AM
  4. Tahoe silverado 1998 1999 2000 blower fan speed switch
    By ChevyFan in forum Chevy Parts eBay
    Replies: 0
    Last: 03-11-2011, 12:50 AM
  5. Sierra silverado 1999 2000 2001 2002 button 4wd switch
    By ChevyFan in forum Chevy Parts eBay
    Replies: 0
    Last: 02-09-2011, 07:10 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •