GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Magnaflow install question

Hey guys, looking at getting magnaflow put on my 5.3 sierra. Did have a few questions beforehand. I was told by muffler shop they don't put dual mufflers for true duals anymore. Any truth to that? Also exit location is just pure preference ex: dual out, passenger before tire / after tire, turndown.

I did have dual mufflers/true duals on my 07 and it sounded great. Any input/opinions are appreciated. Thanks guys

2012 Sierra - 5.3 Z71 - Afe cai, Rhino bedliner, 20% tint all around and 10% brow, 6k hid lows and fogs, Magnaflow catback, tinted tails and front sidemarkers.

Any muffler shop should be able to do a true dual-in-dual out setup for you. I suspect they’re recommending you don’t do it, because you probably won’t be happy with it. Why? The 5.3 is a V-8. Why is that an issue? Well, basically, the V-8 engine requires a certain amount of back-pressure to maintain low-end torque. The flow throughput with true duals produces a bit more high-end power, but wow, will you sacrifice off-the line power for it. Sound alone does not performance make.

It’s very common these days for folks to do dual systems with some sort of X, Y or H pipe set-up to allow the exchange of gas flow for the purpose of creating some back-flow and leveling the exhaust output. This actually helps provides the back-pressure required to keep your low-end torque, as well as levels the exhaust flows through the pipe set.

My current rig (a 6.0L V-8) was severely hampered with a true dual set-up (came with just glass-packs on each side). Sounded really, uh… 17-year-old-ish, which was fun for about a month. I switched it out to a Magnaflow dual-in/dual-out muffler, and WOW… talk about a power increase in the low RPM. I love the setup, and the power has been outstanding. The dual exhaust out, looks sharp too.

Cheers,
    Skippy
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner
    -Premium Sound w/lifetime Satellite Radio | Leather | Sunroof | Heated Seats
    -Limbstriping from USING the truck (those are badges of honor)

Great. Thanks for helpful info bud. Knowing that I'll prob go with dual in/out straight out the back. Mf seems to sound best imo.