GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by silverhobey View Post
    yeah, i figure 3 filters for 4 changes isn't too bad as all the vehicles only get
    about 2 or 3000 miles on them between changes,,,,It's not the money to buy
    the filters, i just figure if others are vdoing 2 or 3 changes a year with filters
    that I would save the kids a few bucks and use 1 less filter a year??!!
    ....not sure if it hurts anything, but it hasnt for the past 10 or 12 years,
    Brian....

- - - Updated - - -

....no, not using Mobil one....use other name brands, and i am not sure if
    skipping the 1 filter would do any damage based on the low use it
    would get every 3 months----what do you think???
    My grandfather used to change the filter every 3,000 and the oil every 6000. He did it to a 1979 chevy station wagon with a 350. He sold the car to my dad. My dad drove it until the odometer had 500,000 miles on it. then the odometer stopped working and he drove it for another 5 years. He sold it to a scrap yard in 1995 because the body rusted out beyond repair.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Another 350 hitting insane miles...

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

I change it every 3k... For some reason, my truck will read "Change engine oil" even before the 3k miles...
    00 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.3 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I was talking to the service manager a few months ago. He said that with the new dexOS and the longer oil change intervals, they are seeing record numbers of broken timing chains on new trucks. He said that they are seeing them break at 30000-65000 miles. It seems to think that it is directly related to the longer 7,500 mile intervals. I also agree with the AC only filter. I will not use anything else. Sweet, this filter filters down to .000001 microns (exaggerated), to me that just increases the chance of the filter plugging and hopefully it bypasses like it is supposed to. I know a few techs that insist that the k&n, and the like, plug after about 1000 miles and basically your engine runs unfiltered oil through the bypass until you change the filter. I don't know if I agree with that thinking, but it does give me something to think about. GM designed the filter for what filtering they think is needed. If I wanted "More" filtering, i would add a bypass filter using an additional AC filter. I change my oil when the oil life monitor says to. But, I keep my eye on the miles, monitor %, and oil. I check my oil at every fill up. I look for level and condition/color. With my 2002 it would look the same when I took it out than when I put it in. In the 03 at about 75% life left it looked black like coal. In my 05 it start looking dirty at about 45% left/ I changed the oil the day I bought it. I now have driven 8000 miles since purchasing it. I changed it one other time with the monitor at 10%. Right now I have 50% left. So, I figure that I am getting about 5000 per oil change.
    Broken timing chains!!! Let me get this straight, if you change the oil every 7500 miles, you're more likely to break a timing chain? I'm having a hard time buying that.

I was tossing around the idea of changing the oil every 8K miles, but changing the filter every 4K miles.

I did not change the oil the day I got the truck, but every new vehicle I have ever had I have changed the oil at 1K miles and then 5K after that.

As far as checking the oil color, unless the oil is the consistency of tar, you cannot judge the oil by its color or looks.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    Broken timing chains!!! Let me get this straight, if you change the oil every 7500 miles, you're more likely to break a timing chain? I'm having a hard time buying that.

I was tossing around the idea of changing the oil every 8K miles, but changing the filter every 4K miles.

I did not change the oil the day I got the truck, but every new vehicle I have ever had I have changed the oil at 1K miles and then 5K after that.

As far as checking the oil color, unless the oil is the consistency of tar, you cannot judge the oil by its color or looks.
    That is what the service manager seems to think! I changed it the day I got it because I bought it used. The dealer had just done it but it had a MOPAR filter on it. I am not trying to judge the viscosity or breakdown of the oil, I am merely looking at how dirty it looks. Jet black oil after 500 miles would concern me some. Looking at it at every fill up may give me an indication that something crazy is going on. If I check it and it smells like gas or went from looking new to looking black in 200 miles, I may want to do some investigating.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend
    Blog Entries

x2 on what Pikey said about the timing chains, I have heard that before but don't know how valid it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kady View Post
    I change it every 3k... For some reason, my truck will read "Change engine oil" even before the 3k miles...
    Every 3K miles is WAY overkill. You are just spending more money than needed.

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler

How is it way over kill? I have 13/14 year old tahoe with 155k on it. I don't use synthetic either. Its costs me 20/25 bucks every 3ish months... Big freakin deal...

Quote Originally Posted by Kady View Post
    How is it way over kill? I have 13/14 year old tahoe with 155k on it. I don't use synthetic either. Its costs me 20/25 bucks every 3ish months... Big freakin deal...
    There are no credible experts/mechanics/etc. that recommend you change oil every 3K miles. That was a myth perpetuated by service facilities to get customers in more frequently to spend more $$$$.

If you like changing the oil in your Tahoe, go ahead, it's still way overkill.

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    There are no credible experts/mechanics/etc. that recommend you change oil every 3K miles. That was a myth perpetuated by service facilities to get customers in more frequently to spend more $$$$.

If you like changing the oil in your Tahoe, go ahead, it's still way overkill.

I've been changing oil every 3k for every single one of my cars/trucks/motorcycles since I began owning them. And the way I see it, it never caused any problems by changing it too often. Its cheap enough, so why not?

You did create this thread to get people's opinions right? Not to call anyone who doesn't agree with you "OverKill"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast