GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kady View Post
    I've been changing oil every 3k for every single one of my cars/trucks/motorcycles since I began owning them. And the way I see it, it never caused any problems by changing it too often. Its cheap enough, so why not?

You did create this thread to get people's opinions right? Not to call anyone who doesn't agree with you "OverKill"
    I did state in my OP that 3K is ridiculous.

The reason I created the thread was to get other forum members opinion on going to 7800 miles from 5000 miles on oil changes and more frequent filter changes. After reading the article I posted, I might be wasting money for no reason.

My neighbor changes oil every 2000 miles on his 2009 Pontiac G8, and he's 100% convinced that that's the proper thing to. I've told him that's WAY TOO frequent, but oh well.

I used to change oil every 3000 miles, but knew that interval was too frequent.

If changing your oil every 3000 miles does it for you, cool.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    I did state in my OP that 3K is ridiculous.

The reason I created the thread was to get other forum members opinion on going to 7800 miles from 5000 miles on oil changes and more frequent filter changes. After reading the article I posted, I might be wasting money for no reason.
    My neighbor changes oil every 2000 miles on his 2009 Pontiac G8, and he's 100% convinced that that's the proper thing to. I've told him that's WAY TOO frequent, but oh well.

I used to change oil every 3000 miles, but knew that interval was too frequent.

If changing your oil every 3000 miles does it for you, cool.
    My last comment sounded kinda of D*bag like, (sorry, i was grumpy after work) but how can you say something is too frequent?? If your neighbor or anyone else only drives 2k a year, then they better be changing it then...
    00 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.3 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Kady View Post
    My last comment sounded kinda of D*bag like, (sorry, i was grumpy after work) but how can you say something is too frequent?? If your neighbor or anyone else only drives 2k a year, then they better be changing it then...
    No problem, you were probably freezing in your Tahoe and uncomfortable temperatures can cause irritability.

My neighbor drives normally to my knowledge (~12K a year), but he changes the oil every 2000 miles. If it makes him happy, so be it.

I barely drive 3000 miles a year so I just change every 6 months or when I need to do a maintenance item that involves oil. I always change oil and filter at the same time.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

No problem, you were probably freezing in your Tahoe and uncomfortable temperatures can cause irritability.

It was a combination of that and the d^bags that came out of the woodwork today at work.

I know if you think changing every 3000 miles is ridiculous, i usually change mine every 2000 miles. I know i think it is just the way i was raised. But i dont think that when u change your oil it is never too frequent. Exept if it is like a month after you change it.
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

Quote Originally Posted by 1953bowtieguy View Post
    I know if you think changing every 3000 miles is ridiculous, i usually change mine every 2000 miles. I know i think it is just the way i was raised. But i dont think that when u change your oil it is never too frequent. Exept if it is like a month after you change it.
    There is a thing called oil change addiction, sounds like you have it.

There is a thing called oil change addiction, sounds like you have it.

Lol! That is pretty funny. News Flash! Man arrested for changing oil in random cars in mall parking lot. His statement to police: "I just can't help it! I can just tell that it was more than 3000 miles since their last change, I mean look how dirty that car is, if they don't take care of the outside, they don't take care of their oil, I am doing a public service"

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

So THAT's what they mean when they say "America is addicted to Oil."
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner
    -Premium Sound w/lifetime Satellite Radio | Leather | Sunroof | Heated Seats
    -Limbstriping from USING the truck (those are badges of honor)

Legend
    Blog Entries

I have through all the posts, and I would like to make a suggestion. This is for all the people who have already switched to synthetic, but are still going by the oil life monitor. The BCM and ECM are programmed for standard oil, by switching to synthetic oil the computers do not automatically recognize the difference. You can however take it to the dealer to have them reprogram it to recognize the synthetic oil, that way it will be 100% accurate to your driving style and choice of oil. I did this with my truck, $60 for them to flash it and it is accurate for the synthetic that I am running. Just a thought....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast