GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. #31
    Master Mechanic silverhobey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    888
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    I have through all the posts, and I would like to make a suggestion. This is for all the people who have already switched to synthetic, but are still going by the oil life monitor. The BCM and ECM are programmed for standard oil, by switching to synthetic oil the computers do not automatically recognize the difference. You can however take it to the dealer to have them reprogram it to recognize the synthetic oil, that way it will be 100% accurate to your driving style and choice of oil. I did this with my truck, $60 for them to flash it and it is accurate for the synthetic that I am running. Just a thought....
    our 2010 has been running Semi-Synthetic through dealership changes
    only. I guess I should find out about this, but I have not noticed a
    difference in oil-life monitor-----might be due to low mileage that we
    drive that I have not noticed it,,,,,thanks for the info TRPLXL2 .
    Brian from Canada
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

    ---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

    ---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

    ---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

    ---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

  2. #32

    Default

    I go 5k in my truck with conventional oil, and 6-7500 in my little Honda, using full synthetic. But if I drive either one hard, I'll change 1 to 2k sooner
    2000 Sierra Reg. Cab 5 Speed

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    I have through all the posts, and I would like to make a suggestion. This is for all the people who have already switched to synthetic, but are still going by the oil life monitor. The BCM and ECM are programmed for standard oil, by switching to synthetic oil the computers do not automatically recognize the difference. You can however take it to the dealer to have them reprogram it to recognize the synthetic oil, that way it will be 100% accurate to your driving style and choice of oil. I did this with my truck, $60 for them to flash it and it is accurate for the synthetic that I am running. Just a thought....
    With the new dexOS thing, the ECM should be aware of synthetic oil as it is now specified.

    2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab


    Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

  4. #34

    Default

    You can never damage your engine by changing you oil too often.... But you can by not changing it soon enough.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

    Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    With the new dexOS thing, the ECM should be aware of synthetic oil as it is now specified.
    I agree that's whey GM made that oil standard.

    1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

    Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

  6. #36

    Default

    I change mine every 3k miles - oil and filter every time. With better engine technology and better oil technology, newer cars can go longer between oil changes. I don't think the 3k mile rule (for older cars) is a myth. There is a marked difference between fresh oil and 3k-mile oil. Ultimately, it's up to you how long you want to keep running the same oil change in your engine. Just remember, no harm will come from changing the oil too often but waiting too long to change it will, over time, hurt the engine. It's up to each individual car owner how long they want to go between changes but it's usually a good idea to go by what your vehicles manual says.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

  7. #37

    Default

    I drive about 90 miles round trip a day for work and make 2 450 mile trips a month. I usually go about 5k on my oil changes. Longer drives are easier on an engine.
    The smaller micron filter the better, but if you have trouble with filters plugging I would find out WHAT is plugging them. An oil analysis would reveal a lot of insight here. Is it bearing material, iron, sealant, or what? It will also give you a particle count if the sample isn't too dark.
    Many filters also leak internally around the filter media, at the threaded end where it is glued or otherwise attached. The more filter surface area you have, the less restrictive it is. IMO, buy one of every filter brand you can find, cut them all open and you can see the quality or lack of for yourself. Also many filter brands are made by the same company.
    I took several classes on filtration with Caterpillar and learned tons about them. Hope this helps.

  8. #38
    Master Mechanic silverhobey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    888
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Treadnmud View Post
    I drive about 90 miles round trip a day for work and make 2 450 mile trips a month. I usually go about 5k on my oil changes. Longer drives are easier on an engine.
    The smaller micron filter the better, but if you have trouble with filters plugging I would find out WHAT is plugging them. An oil analysis would reveal a lot of insight here. Is it bearing material, iron, sealant, or what? It will also give you a particle count if the sample isn't too dark.
    Many filters also leak internally around the filter media, at the threaded end where it is glued or otherwise attached. The more filter surface area you have, the less restrictive it is. IMO, buy one of every filter brand you can find, cut them all open and you can see the quality or lack of for yourself. Also many filter brands are made by the same company.
    I took several classes on filtration with Caterpillar and learned tons about them. Hope this helps.
    thanks for the info and insight...do you happen to know what Brands of Filters
    to steer away from....do you happen to know what companies make different
    brands for other companies !!?? thanks...Brian
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

    ---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

    ---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

    ---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

    ---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverhobey View Post
    thanks for the info and insight...do you happen to know what Brands of Filters
    to steer away from....do you happen to know what companies make different
    brands for other companies !!?? thanks...Brian
    Brain, Check this out, I found this list while doing research about why so many people say not to use Fram filters. I also wanted to be able to back up my statements about fram with some data. Fram uses half the filter material anyone else does: http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/...nce.html#delco

    1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

    2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Similar Threads

  1. Any one got a guess?
    By tbplus10 in forum Chevy Truck Talk & News
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 10:59 AM
  2. Hi new here i guess i ought to do this as step one.
    By VortecK1ng in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 03:24 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-29-2010, 07:44 AM
  4. Is this a good guess?
    By m.gauthier in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 08:14 AM
  5. well i guess i should say Hi...
    By Akula682 in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-06-2008, 06:50 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •