GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default I guess I change my oil too often.

I change my oil every 5K miles using Mobil 1 5W-30.

I read an article on Edmunds that talks about every 7800 miles. I do believe that every 3K miles is ridiculous.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop...-your-oil.html

Should I go with 7800 miles? If yes, how often should the filter go? The AC Delco PF-48 is a pretty inexpensive and changing it more frequently is not a big hassle.

What do the other forum members think.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Blog Entries

i do mine every three months...needed or not due to low mileage driving.
    i think oil is cheap, i change oil on 4 cars, yet our 2010 crew still goes to the dealer.
    i only chamge the filters though, 3 times a year, not 4 times.
    i agree that changing it frequently is not a hassle, plus i get to check for other
    things underneath the kids' and neices' cars....Brian from Canada
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

Legend
    Blog Entries

My HHR runs on Mobil 1 5w30, I am planning on running 8-10k on an oil change.
    My Colorado runs on Mobil 1 5w30, It will get changed every 3k because it gets ran HARD.

The filter gets changed with the oil, I try to use Wix or Bosch and I always get a larger size filter than what is called for.

It really depends on if you baby it, or drive it hard.

Use synthetic oil and the Oil Life Monitor.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by silverhobey View Post
    i think oil is cheap, i change oil on 4 cars, yet our 2010 crew still goes to the dealer.
    i agree that changing it frequently is not a hassle, plus i get to check for other
    IMO 4 times a year is overkill and you're just throwing money down the drain by changing good oil (I assume you drive ~15K a year).

Right now I changing three times a year, but would like to do twice a year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Use synthetic oil and the Oil Life Monitor.
    I use Mobil 1 5W-30. With the new GM dexOS thing, you have to run semi-synthetic or full synthetic now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    My HHR runs on Mobil 1 5w30, I am planning on running 8-10k on an oil change.
    My Colorado runs on Mobil 1 5w30, It will get changed every 3k because it gets ran HARD.

The filter gets changed with the oil, I try to use Wix or Bosch and I always get a larger size filter than what is called for.

It really depends on if you baby it, or drive it hard.
    Agreed on the oil, but as far as filters, I only use AC Delco, I have found that the other filters (no matter how cool they look, or how much they cost) are JUNK.

I drive ~15K a year, so I'm going to start changing the oil every 7500 miles.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

I chabge mine every 5k. I also use Mobil 1 5w-30. The filter is K&N. To me it is cheap insurance. I look at the old oil to see if things have changed. Such as signs of water or antifreeze and metal. Overkill yes! I do a lot of short trips (4 miles door to door to work). I average about 15k a year so changing the oil 3 times a year isn't bad to me.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Quote Originally Posted by silverhobey View Post
    Wait, wait, wait! Am I understanding this correctly? You go one oil change and change just the oil and not the filter? I must not be understanding that. That is like taking a shower but putting dirty underwear back on. Filters are cheap. You can't be using mobile 1 and calling it "cheap" I know a few people that have cottages in Canada and Mobile one is nearly double the price there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    IMO 4 times a year is overkill and you're just throwing money down the drain by changing good oil (I assume you drive ~15K a year).

Right now I changing three times a year, but would like to do twice a year.

- - - Updated - - -

I use Mobil 1 5W-30. With the new GM dexOS thing, you have to run semi-synthetic or full synthetic now.Agreed on the oil, but as far as filters, I only use AC Delco, I have found that the other filters (no matter how cool they look, or how much they cost) are JUNK..
    I was talking to the service manager a few months ago. He said that with the new dexOS and the longer oil change intervals, they are seeing record numbers of broken timing chains on new trucks. He said that they are seeing them break at 30000-65000 miles. It seems to think that it is directly related to the longer 7,500 mile intervals. I also agree with the AC only filter. I will not use anything else. Sweet, this filter filters down to .000001 microns (exaggerated), to me that just increases the chance of the filter plugging and hopefully it bypasses like it is supposed to. I know a few techs that insist that the k&n, and the like, plug after about 1000 miles and basically your engine runs unfiltered oil through the bypass until you change the filter. I don't know if I agree with that thinking, but it does give me something to think about. GM designed the filter for what filtering they think is needed. If I wanted "More" filtering, i would add a bypass filter using an additional AC filter. I change my oil when the oil life monitor says to. But, I keep my eye on the miles, monitor %, and oil. I check my oil at every fill up. I look for level and condition/color. With my 2002 it would look the same when I took it out than when I put it in. In the 03 at about 75% life left it looked black like coal. In my 05 it start looking dirty at about 45% left/ I changed the oil the day I bought it. I now have driven 8000 miles since purchasing it. I changed it one other time with the monitor at 10%. Right now I have 50% left. So, I figure that I am getting about 5000 per oil change.
    Last edited by Pikey; 01-22-2013 at 06:53 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I change my oil every 5,000mi and use a Puralator 12222 filter and pour Mobile 1 full synthetic back in.
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, SCT Programmer.

mine is done every 5k. my last two trucks i did every three. that may have been overkill, it may not have been. this truck seems to handle more miles between ok. i keep an eye on the oil, and it never looks to bad.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Blog Entries

yeah, i figure 3 filters for 4 changes isn't too bad as all the vehicles only get
    about 2 or 3000 miles on them between changes,,,,It's not the money to buy
    the filters, i just figure if others are vdoing 2 or 3 changes a year with filters
    that I would save the kids a few bucks and use 1 less filter a year??!!
    ....not sure if it hurts anything, but it hasnt for the past 10 or 12 years,
    Brian....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Wait, wait, wait! Am I understanding this correctly? You go one oil change and change just the oil and not the filter? I must not be understanding that. That is like taking a shower but putting dirty underwear back on. Filters are cheap. You can't be using mobile 1 and calling it "cheap" I know a few people that have cottages in Canada and Mobile one is nearly double the price there.

- - - Updated - - -

I was talking to the service manager a few months ago. He said that with the new dexOS and the longer oil change intervals, they are seeing record numbers of broken timing chains on new trucks. He said that they are seeing them break at 30000-65000 miles. It seems to think that it is directly related to the longer 7,500 mile intervals. I also agree with the AC only filter. I will not use anything else. Sweet, this filter filters down to .000001 microns (exaggerated), to me that just increases the chance of the filter plugging and hopefully it bypasses like it is supposed to. I know a few techs that insist that the k&n, and the like, plug after about 1000 miles and basically your engine runs unfiltered oil through the bypass until you change the filter. I don't know if I agree with that thinking, but it does give me something to think about. GM designed the filter for what filtering they think is needed. If I wanted "More" filtering, i would add a bypass filter using an additional AC filter. I change my oil when the oil life monitor says to. But, I keep my eye on the miles, monitor %, and oil. I check my oil at every fill up. I look for level and condition/color. With my 2002 it would look the same when I took it out than when I put it in. In the 03 at about 75% life left it looked black like coal. In my 05 it start looking dirty at about 45% left/ I changed the oil the day I bought it. I now have driven 8000 miles since purchasing it. I changed it one other time with the monitor at 10%. Right now I have 50% left. So, I figure that I am getting about 5000 per oil change.
    ....no, not using Mobil one....use other name brands, and i am not sure if
    skipping the 1 filter would do any damage based on the low use it
    would get every 3 months----what do you think???
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast