GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Suburban ABS issue

Okay got a 1999 Suburban that has ABS issues I believe. When I stop (attempt to) on ice and start to "slide" the ABS acts likes it wants to engage. But it does not, I have no pulsating in the pedal only a lot of "noise" with no anti lock brakes. So, basically my brakes lock up and I slide, the only thing that works is pumping the brakes.

Any ideas on what would cause the ABS not to engage? The "noise" sounds like a fast ratcheting noise.

good question mine does the same thing?

1999 C2500 LT CHEVY SUBURBAN
    SUPERLIFT 6" SUSPENSION, 3" BODY LIFT
    38.5X15X16.5 GROUND HAWG TIRES
    16.5X12 EAGLE ALLOYS
    DUAL FLOWMASTER EXHAUST
    K&N INTAKE

99's were good for bad wheel sensors. You might want to get that fixed if your anywhere near snow.

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

Mine as well. I have been told that the sensors get dirty due to thier mount position.

Does your ABS work normal after a little travel time? My ABS will sometimes lock up on a warm dry day - at the first stop sign, first run of the day - and then be fine after that.

Today, 3 foot of snow and 20 below, doesn't make it any more fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Cableguy View Post
    99's were good for bad wheel sensors. You might want to get that fixed if your anywhere near snow.
    I have read where bad/dirty wheel sensors cause the ABS to engage on dry pavement (etc) when slowing down right before coming to a complete stop.

In my case, what would be cause of wheel sensors not allowing the ABS to engage at all?

Quote Originally Posted by KidHauler View Post
    Mine as well. I have been told that the sensors get dirty due to thier mount position.

Does your ABS work normal after a little travel time? My ABS will sometimes lock up on a warm dry day - at the first stop sign, first run of the day - and then be fine after that.

Today, 3 foot of snow and 20 below, doesn't make it any more fun!

I bought the Sub used and it has had the same problem since. I don't think the ABS has actually worked like it supposed to. But I have not had the ABS engage during dry pavement driving like I have read about in this forum.

3 foot of snow and below zero weather, I thought only us people who live in North Dakota were fortunate enough to get such wonderful weather.

Speak up, I'm still shoveling...

As far as the pulsing sound, but not feeling the ABS, you should probably have it checked. I have put the OBD reader on mine a few times, right after the ABS acted funny, but have never gotten a code.

If you bought yours this way, the dash light might be out, if ABS is sending a signal.

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KidHauler View Post

If you bought yours this way, the dash light might be out, if ABS is sending a signal.

I totally agree here. Either take it in to get checked or check the OBDII yourself to see if there's maybe an ABS light on (but not functioning)

I had an issue with the ABS not all too long ago. Mine pertained to one of the sensors having gotten wet, though. I've learned that the sensors on these beasts are not the most reliable.

As an aside... something I was told was that if you ever have any troubles with the ABS - whether they come on, cause problems, act up, what have you - unplug one of the sensors. The system will sense the fault/problem and shut off the ABS system. Will get you going until you get to a garage. Just thought I'd mention that for anyone ever having a problem while away from home!

Good luck
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Quote Originally Posted by Springthing View Post
    I totally agree here. Either take it in to get checked or check the OBDII yourself to see if there's maybe an ABS light on (but not functioning)

I put my OBD II code reader on it several times and have never been able to pull a code. I might have to bite the bullet and have it looked at. I would like to know what is causing the problem (at least an idea) before I am at the mercy of the mechanic.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by