GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1999 silverado chime noise while driving?

i have a 1999 z71 and recently has been sitting for awhile , i got in it to drive and noticed while driving it there is a dinging/chime noise that only goes off when you stop the truck? truck has never done this and im lost as to what is causing this/ its driving me nuts

could the ignition be bad?

are you getting any indicator lights? Brake warning? Could be low brake fluid in the master cylinder

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

no idicator lights.. ive never had this happen before? no one seems to know what it is either

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    are you getting any indicator lights? Brake warning? Could be low brake fluid in the master cylinder

Bare with me while I try to work thru and eliminate some things. Does the interior lights turn on when you here the chime? I ask that because if it is ignition/ open door, keys in warning, then you can be looking at a door latch sensor or the push pin located on the side of the dash on the old body style. I am not sure if that model year had low window washer solvent warning chimes. Just to rule those things out I would check all the fluid levels. Brake fluid, coolant, washer solvent. When you say that it is only when you brake, it indicates that it is possibly low fluid somewhere and the braking action causes the fluid to move forward enough that it allows the sensor to be uncovered. My 02 silverado's coolant level sensor was really sensitive. If it was below the full line at all it would send me an error message on the DIC. When it chimes take a look at your gauges, See if everything looks normal. It could be a temp sensor acting up, or the fuel level sending unit. Really you need to check all the fluid levels and if it continues start looking for any clues such as the gauges acting funny.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

make sure the red brake light does work with the "bulb check" when you first turn the key on. if the bulb doesnt work and your ebrake is on one click it might sound a chime.
    "i dont think you got the picture. i got a beautiful picture. this baby happens to have an extra turn of speed, which is the only thing i care about. you dont understnad what happens do you? they make cars. they make 'em exactly the same way. one or two of 'em turn out to be something special. nobody knows why. i know why. i may be kiddin' myself, but i think i can make somethin' out of that sad little bucket of bolts." ~ Tennessee Steinmetz

i didnt mean to say it only does it when you brake .. its when the truck completly stops, i can break while driving and it still does it. also ive checked all fluids and havent noticed the brake light on at all. im lost , is there a way i can completly disconnect the e brake because it does not seem to even be working

Quote Originally Posted by jstephens View Post
    i didnt mean to say it only does it when you brake .. its when the truck completly stops, i can break while driving and it still does it. also ive checked all fluids and havent noticed the brake light on at all. im lost , is there a way i can completly disconnect the e brake because it does not seem to even be working
    ok, now I am confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by jstephens View Post
    i didnt mean to say it only does it when you brake .. its when the truck completly stops, i can break while driving and it still does it.
    You just said two different things in the same sentence. Is it when the truck completely stops or does it do it while you are driving?

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

nothing to be confused about.. the truck has a chime/dinging noise constantly while driving, when i come to a complete stop the noise stops , when i start moving again it starts again, when im slowing down with my brakes the noise is still constant, only when completly stopped is when the noise stops

do you wear your seatbelt? Wait, it only happens while moving! Your OP said it only goes off when you stop the truck, I took it as it only sounds when you stop. You meant that it stops chiming when you stop the truck. I would take a look at the parking brake pedal, make sure it is not depressed just a small amount. Usually, the parking brake indicator flashes like crazy though if the pedal is depressed. It could be the switch for the pedal that is bad. I have never looked at one, but you may be able to just disconnect the switch and see if the noise stops.

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast