GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

View Poll Results: How Often do You Use 4Lo?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never. (Literally never/super rarely)

4 14.29%
  • Once in a while. (max once to twice a year)

11 39.29%
  • More often than most. (3+ times a year consistently)

8 28.57%
  • All the time. (once a month or multiple times a month)

4 14.29%
  • What's 4Lo? Or not a 4wd vehicle.

1 3.57%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How Often do You Use 4wd Low?

Moving my truck in our normal snow fall shuffle the roads are so icy that I needed 4Lo to back up into my normal parking spot.

I'm just wondering how often do you guys use your 4Lo, the torquest the truck can get.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

only use it when i feel the need to have finesse when moving large objects like campers. otherwise i feel 4hi is the way to go especially in snow. less chance of spinning that way.
    "i dont think you got the picture. i got a beautiful picture. this baby happens to have an extra turn of speed, which is the only thing i care about. you dont understnad what happens do you? they make cars. they make 'em exactly the same way. one or two of 'em turn out to be something special. nobody knows why. i know why. i may be kiddin' myself, but i think i can make somethin' out of that sad little bucket of bolts." ~ Tennessee Steinmetz

I only put it in 4 low once in a while. I rarely need it, if ever. I just do it to make sure that the tcase remembers what it is supposed to do. I used to put it in 4 low in my 95 all the time at the sand dunes. I had a posilok 4 actuator so I would put it in 4 low and not actuate the front diff, so I would have 2 low. I had all the torque I needed to get up steep dunes and still had the turning radius of being in 2wd.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

My Chevy doesnt have a transfer case so never, but the Tacoma is almost always locked in low, similiar to Pikey I did a twin stick conversion on it so I can run low range in 2wd.

Like Pikey, I will select 4LOW to "exercise" (I like that word) the t-case, but I rarely use it. I haven't used it in this truck and I don't remember using it in the previous truck (however, I doubt if I would buy a truck without the 2 speed box). I did use it in the '96 Blazer, for climbing gravel pit walls and steep logging roads.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

As Pikey and RayVoy said, i just put in there sometimes to keep it known. Everytime ive been offroad, i have only ran 2wd at silver lake sand dunes.

2010 Silverado Z71

Kyle-USAF-MI/VA

"Fueled by Haters"

TCS front box 7"-9" set at 8.5" | FTS coilovers(blue coil) with resis and FTS shocks with resis| 20" Fuel Off-Road Revolver Rims | 35x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers | Halo Projector Head Lights by Recon- Black | Led Taillights by Recon- Smoked | Dumped Straight pipe | Volant CAI | Ranch Hand Front Bumper | DiabloSport Trinity Programmer | Tow Mirrors with Turn Signal | Cervinis Ram-Air hood | 4.56 USA gears with tru trac locker | Longshot Lighting 6000k 55w low beam and 6000k 35w fogs HIDs | 7" lift leaf spring | Blue TCS traction bars

Future Mods: Long tube headers
    | Custom tune | Cam | Stall Converter

Well I proved I need new tires. After going out and staying in 2wd most of the way the rear lost grip a few times in intersections.... And even in low I couldn't get beck to my parking spot because it is just to icy and slippery.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Well we got a little white stuff last night soo I ight put it in just to Lube up the gears.. But other then that 4w Auto does just fine or even 2wd with the locker is fine in this snow..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	covered....jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	47554
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

We are getting hammered today, storm originated south of Lake Ontario, blew through Quebec and Northeast US yesterday and into NB, NS and PEI today. I don't think there is a huge amount of snow, but real high winds, causing some good drifts. I was just outside, the snow has stopped, but wind is so high I'm waiting for awhile to clean out the driveway. Not 2WD, 4HI, or 4LOW will get me out of the driveway today.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

I use it quite a bit i go on the property and pull downed trees and stuff so the torque is great when imm pulling them through the muck and stuff so i use it quite a bit 3 or 4 times a week
    Bowaddict13 ( Jason) 2005 5.3l GMC seirra 4x4 crew cab 1500, 77 chevy van 350, 87 chevy suburban 350, 94 gmc sonoma 4.3, 96 gmc sonoma hi rider 4.3, Two 95 chevy tahoes both 350s, one red one blue

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast