GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default No heat while idling, Only when cruising/accelerating?

    So, I noticed a little problem with "timmy" today. I went out to start it 10 minutes before I was leaving for work, turned the heater knobs all the way to hi, expecting to get in a warm vehicle 10 minutes later... Well, I got in and it was as cold as it was outside (9 Degrees) Air was blowing ice cold, and I assumed it was just because I was used to how fast my commuter car (nissan 240sx) heats up. So I lowered the knobs, and started driving. Almost instantly, I felt the heat kick in. so I blasted it again. Great! So I pull up to the coffee shop, and while I'm idling in the drive thru, I notice my heat turn slowly to cold... Start driving again, and it heated up again! What could be causing this? I don't know much about heater cores, but could this be the issue? Any ideas, or suggestions about how to diagnose this would be greatly appreciated... I'd rather not have to put my truck in neutral and rev it at red lights to keep my heat on.
    00 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.3 4x4

  2. #2

    Default

    Not knowing what make/model/year "timmy" is, I guess I'll assume "timmy" is your 2000 Tahoe.

    It's probably not your heater core, but more than likely the actuator that controls the antifreeze going into the heater core. It might be the rotary switch on your dash as well.

    The NBS trucks heater cores require the dash to be completely dis-assembled to replace them.

    2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab


    Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    Not knowing what make/model/year "timmy" is, I guess I'll assume "timmy" is your 2000 Tahoe.

    It's probably not your heater core, but more than likely the actuator that controls the antifreeze going into the heater core. It might be the rotary switch on your dash as well.

    The NBS trucks heater cores require the dash to be completely dis-assembled to replace them.
    Yes, You would be correct to assume that. But how could it be the rotary switch on my dash if it works while i'm moving, but not when I'm standing still?

    - - - Updated - - -

    And the actuator on the heater core? What would cause that to work only when I'm driving?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kady View Post
    Yes, You would be correct to assume that. But how could it be the rotary switch on my dash if it works while i'm moving, but not when I'm standing still?

    - - - Updated - - -

    And the actuator on the heater core? What would cause that to work only when I'm driving?
    I don't know that much about that year Tahoe, the switch on your dash is FAR less likely, a lot of the actuators on older cars are vacuum controlled, someone on the forum can correct me, and when you rev the engine up your vacuum pressure can increase.

  5. #5

    Default

    Hmmm, i haven't checked it in a while, but maybe low coolant? bad thermostat?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kady View Post
    Hmmm, i haven't checked it in a while, but maybe low coolant? bad thermostat?
    A bad thermostat would affect coolant temperature only, you did say that when you are moving the air is hot. Is the air as hot as it usual?

    Low coolant is a possibility, when at idle the heater core might not be filling up with hot coolant.

    My girlfriend's Cobalt appears to have a bad air flow changing mechanism (I guess that's what you call it), and will only do floor and defrost. Her car uses electronic actuators to rotate a plate to change each flue's position. She's living with floor and defrost, hopefully the mechanism isn't too expensive to replace.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    A bad thermostat would affect coolant temperature only, you did say that when you are moving the air is hot. Is the air as hot as it usual?

    Low coolant is a possibility, when at idle the heater core might not be filling up with hot coolant.

    My girlfriend's Cobalt appears to have a bad air flow changing mechanism (I guess that's what you call it), and will only do floor and defrost. Her car uses electronic actuators to rotate a plate to change each flue's position. She's living with floor and defrost, hopefully the mechanism isn't too expensive to replace.
    Just checked, my coolant is low. So that's what I'm thinking it is. When I'm moving, it does blow as hot as it used to... I remember being in the truck the other day, trying to defrost the front wind shield so I could see out of it, and it wouldn't clear. Now I know why.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post

    My girlfriend's Cobalt appears to have a bad air flow changing mechanism (I guess that's what you call it), and will only do floor and defrost. Her car uses electronic actuators to rotate a plate to change each flue's position. She's living with floor and defrost, hopefully the mechanism isn't too expensive to replace.
    My dually was stuck on defrost too, but that was a vaccuum problem..

    And the reason I said thermostat because maybe it was faulty and stuck open? But that wouldn't make sense because I'm getting head while moving.

    - - - Updated - - -

    So, due to someone talking out of their a$$ on fb, i went outside now, at 12 degrees, to figure out what was wrong. topped it off, and heat cranked like normal. And when I said the coolant was low, that was an understatement. Now tomorrow project is to figure out why coolant was that low. I haven't check it in a while, but it could have been something from the accident.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coolant.jpg  

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kady View Post
    And the reason I said thermostat because maybe it was faulty and stuck open? But that wouldn't make sense because I'm getting head while moving.

    So, due to someone talking out of their a$$ on fb, i went outside now, at 12 degrees, to figure out what was wrong. topped it off, and heat cranked like normal. And when I said the coolant was low, that was an understatement. Now tomorrow project is to figure out why coolant was that low. I haven't check it in a while, but it could have been something from the accident.
    Sounds like you had a pretty crappy day. Hopefully a pressure test tomorrow reveals something easy like a bad factory installed hose clamp.

    1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

    2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

  9. #9

    Default

    If you are that low on coolant it's either leaking out (preferrable) or leaking into the engine (bad).

Similar Threads

  1. heat prob with 95 Silverado heat then, no heat???need some help!PLZ
    By jteuban in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 3
    Last: 11-20-2011, 09:34 PM
  2. Engine cuts while cruising down the road???
    By ORTRED in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last: 10-20-2011, 01:24 PM
  3. Engine rough at ilde or cruising speed
    By MightyMax in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 93
    Last: 09-17-2010, 10:13 PM
  4. Annoying sound while cruising around 40mph
    By 09crewcab in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last: 09-11-2010, 11:17 AM
  5. No heat up front, but heat in rear on '83 'burb
    By FUNFINDER in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)
    Replies: 9
    Last: 04-20-2009, 02:50 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •