GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 2003 GMC Sierra Blower Motor?

So I was truckless for about a week because of the blower motor turning on with none of the controls on, so I just get it back from one of my buddies garage to have them look at it and they said it was a bad heater head, runs fine though with the blower motor fuse in and the heater unplugged when they gave it back to me. My new heater head comes in last night i popped it in, put the blower motor and dash back together and as soon as I pull out of the driveway the heater comes on full blast again. I take it back home take the dash all apart again unplug the heater, blower motor still on with it unplugged. So i pull the blower motor fuse under the hood, heater turns off. Any suggestions here? maybe a bad blower motor resistor? Wire shortage? Any help would be awesome, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownPats420 View Post
    So I was truckless for about a week because of the blower motor turning on with none of the controls on, so I just get it back from one of my buddies garage to have them look at it and they said it was a bad heater head, runs fine though with the blower motor fuse in and the heater unplugged when they gave it back to me. My new heater head comes in last night i popped it in, put the blower motor and dash back together and as soon as I pull out of the driveway the heater comes on full blast again. I take it back home take the dash all apart again unplug the heater, blower motor still on with it unplugged. So i pull the blower motor fuse under the hood, heater turns off. Any suggestions here? maybe a bad blower motor resistor? Wire shortage? Any help would be awesome, thanks!
    I'll just mentioned, that the problem may be with the Blower Motor Resistor....Below is a G.M. Service Bulletin.......it is Regarding the Problem/Issue with Blower Motor Resistor,

G.M. SERVICE BULLETIN
    Special Coverage Adjustment
    Bulletin No.: 11046

Date: April 07, 2011

Subject: 11046*****SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT*****Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Blower Not Fully Functional on All Blower Speeds, Inoperative, or Runs Continuously with the IGNITION OFF.

Models:
    2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
    2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverado
    2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
    2003-2007 GMC Sierra
    Equipped with Manual HVAC (CJ3) or Heavy Duty Heater (C42)

Due to part availability, owner letters will be released in phases starting with older model year first. Owners for model year vehicles not included in first phase owner mailing will receive an owner advisory letter.

The letter will inform the customer that parts are not yet available and that another letter will be sent to them when parts become available. A copy of this letter will be attached to the dealer message announcing this bulletin.

In the meantime, if a customer brings their vehicle to the dealership with the condition described in this bulletin, repair the vehicle using the parts called out in this bulletin.

Condition.......On some 2003-2006 model year Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; and 2003-2007 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicles equipped with a manual heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system (CJ3) or heavy duty heater (C42), the interface between the electrical terminals of the relay Resistor Module and the Wiring Connector that powers the module may be incapable of conducting higher current levels for sustained periods of blower motor operation. In addition, moisture and other contaminants may enter the fresh air intake plenum and contact the internal circuit of the module or corrode the terminals. Either of the above may cause the relay resistor module or wiring connector to overheat, resulting in one or more of the following symptoms:

- The HVAC blower may not function on certain or all blower speed settings
    - A burning plastic smell or smoke may be present in the vehicle
    - The HVAC blower may run continually with the ignition in the OFF position

IN VERY RARE events, if the above Symptoms are Ignored......A FIRE Could Occur.

*****SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT*****This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of ****10 YEARS or 150,000 MILES(240,000km)****whichever occurs first, from the Date the Vehicle was Originally Placed into Service.......Regardless of Ownership.

Dealer are to install a New Blower Module Connector......and the Repair will be made at No Charge to the Customer

Inportant.......For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, All eligible Claims with repair orders on or after April 8 2001 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with Repair orders prior to April 8 2011 must be Sumitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved,
    Involved are certain 2003-2006 model year Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; and 2003-2007 Model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra Vehicles equipped with a Manual HVAV (CJ3) or Heavy Duty Heater (C42)

Inprotant,
    Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Applicable Warranties section in the Global Warranty Management system.

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 10-18-2013 at 05:24 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Awesome man thanks a bunch! the resistor down at my local GM dealer is about $75, my next investment. I just bought a brand new heater head for $150, always something i tell ya

Awesome man thanks a bunch! the resistor down at my local GM dealer is about $75, my next investment. I just bought a brand new heater head for $150, always something i tell ya
    Glad to help.....Below is from A/C Delco Online Parts Catalog.....it is the Blower Motor Resistor,

RESISTOR,BLO MOT
    Part Number: 15-81086
    Product Notes:
    Blower Motor Resistor
    Hvy Duty Htr (C42); May require discarding of OE resistor mounting; ; plate & mounting new resistor directly to case

Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 2003-2005

Now that I think about it, if this is a GM recall would I be able to take this to a dealer instead of buying all of the parts and doing it myself?

Now that I think about it, if this is a GM recall would I be able to take this to a dealer instead of buying all of the parts and doing it myself?
    Nate....G.M./Chevy, has a Special Coverage Adjustment....which means they have given the Following Coverage for Repairs on the Blower Resistor, below is a Section from the information I posted above,

*****SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT*****This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of ****10 YEARS or 150,000 MILES(240,000km)****whichever occurs first, from the Date the Vehicle was Originally Placed into Service.......Regardless of Ownership.

....The Dealer's are to install a New Blower Module Connector and the Repair will be made at No Charge to the Customer.

If you can let them do the Repair's.....

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 09-29-2013 at 11:16 AM.

I would recommend contacting your local dealer for more assistance and to explain the situation. They will be able to assist you further and let you know what, if any costs, you may have. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Quote Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
    I would recommend contacting your local dealer for more assistance and to explain the situation. They will be able to assist you further and let you know what, if any costs, you may have. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
    Tricia....Please take a look at Reply Number #2.

Default help out a woodworker?

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    Tricia....Please take a look at Reply Number #2.
    Hi folks, I just bought a 2003 GMC 1500 HD the last week of December 2012 and the blower cut out for half of a second on the way home last night (Jan 21st 2013) and then wouldn't shut off once I got home and turned the ignition off. I believe I have the problem discussed in this thread. I pulled the (40A) fuse and the blower shut off. Herein lies the next layer of my problem. I will check with my local GM dealer about the recall, but the mileage is at 160K so I doubt they'll honor it. My forte is woodworking - not auto mechanics - but I do what I can. Where is this resistor located and could I check it with a voltmeter?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

It's located right in front of your blower motor. You're definitely having that same problem and the dealership will not help you (they didn't help me with similar mileage). No way to check the failed resistor pack but I guarantee that is the problem. It's held in by two little bolts and one electrical plug.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by