GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default installing headers

I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS 4x4 Z71 with the 5.3Lmotor. I was throwing around the idea of putting a true dual exhaust on it formultiple reasons. Fuel economy, hp, torque, and it just donít sound loud enoughfor me. I want to replace the exhaust manifolds and put on some high flowheaders. I would like to know if it is worth spending the money to get the longheaders instead of the shortys, and how much of a pain it would be to installthem. Also I would like to know what the best way to set up trueduel exhaust. Iíve seen multiple different setups but donít know what is thebest way to set them up.

From what I have read long tube headers will give you more power and better flow at low rpms, while shorty headers will give you more power and flow at high rpms. If you do long tube then you will need to have your exhaust redone to bolt up to it. Most the short tubes I have installed bolt right to the old stock exhaust with no issues.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

i am going to replace the old exhaust anyway with true duels so im not to worried about that

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you here.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

What do you mean by "true dual" exhaust?

Welcome!

Individual pipes for each header not from a y pipe

Thanks for welcoming me to the club and with these fast post I'm sure iI'll have a lot of fun here! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by newcheylover View Post
    Individual pipes for each header not from a y pipe
    You know that's bad for your truck right? And you lose quite a bit of horsepower. Your engine relies on the "H" pipe on your truck to equal out the head pressure from what side to the other. You will lose fuel economy, horsepower and your truck will sound god awful. All the really nice sounding trucks and hot rods all have "H" pipes.

My exhaust setup suggestion would be the same as mine, long tube headers, and then cutting the muffler off and doing duals from there out the back. Your factory cats are already high flow so don't waste your money on doing anything from the cats to the factory muffler. Leaving the "H" pipe in will help you. The "H" pipe is the pipe from your y-pipe splitter to your factory muffler.

My personal setup has no muffler, just headers and duals where the muffler once was. I have more power, better fuel efficiency and it sounds so good even die hard Toyota, ford and dodge guys give my truck a thumbs up.

I have American racing headers with their highflow cats in combination with a Corsa high performance sport exhaust. It sounds awesome... There isn't a truck in my area that has that same tone. You know you have something when all the guys at the local auto shops stop and turn their heads when you go by.... When you order headers you'll have two choices for pipe and collector sizes. The larger pipe will give you a lower tone... The.smaller pipe will give you more bark. I went with the larger... 1 7/8 headers on my truck. The headers and exhaust combination will really wake up.your truck... But you'll need to re-program your ecm and tcm to take full.advantage though.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast