GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Seafoam Census

Default Seafoam Census

I have a 1991 V1500 with 90k on the engine (that is a guess) the vehicle has 159k on it. I would like to know what people on here think of the Seafoam product and what has it done for your vehicle. I have some reservations on using it. I would hope that I can restore some pep in this machine.

Wow, I thought that this would spark a lot of replies. I guess that most people feel that this product is not good for teating a engine.

I use it regularly in my vehicles to clean out deposits in the fuel system and have never had a problem with it. I highly recommend it.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

I use a competitor's product, RXP, which is essentially the same thing, and I have found that it helped provide about .5 MPG better gas mileage after all was said and done.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

I hardly ever pay attention to mpg, but while disassembling the top end of vehicles I used Seafoam on I did notice the intakes and fuel systems were cleaner and the vehicles run smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    I hardly ever pay attention to mpg, but while disassembling the top end of vehicles I used Seafoam on I did notice the intakes and fuel systems were cleaner and the vehicles run smoother.
    A friend told me to watch out for those carbon deposits. He said that they will break off and clog the small oil ways and mess up the valves, plus the rods could get damaged. So I have to ask; why did you have to disassemble the top end of vehicles that you used Seafoam on?

I'm sure if you search around the forum there will be lots of posts regarding seafoam, and it's generally recommended. I used the Amsoil equivalent of seafoam in my old 2000 Z71 Tahoe w/ over 100k. After 2 treatments it just about fully resolved the massive pinging issues I was having.

It's also recommended to change your oil after using that stuff. And if your engine is dirty enough, it can even foul out the plugs. That happened on mine the first time I ran it. Well worth it though.

2009 GMC Sierra Denali AWD

One because I blew a head gasket, one because after 180K the rings were bad, and a few others were getting various intake or cam upgrades.
    Nothing was attributable to failure caused by Seafoam use.
    Last edited by tbplus10; 03-07-2008 at 08:02 PM.

Ya, seafoam works wonders. Plus beside the fact that it is amazing, it is realy fun to have some "spirited" driving after waiting for it to work its magic!

I use a can every six months or so in my vehicles and it seems to help make them run a bit better. However, the best use is in my boat. One tank lasts most of the season. When I was just using Stabil the motor ran pretty bad the last few outings. I put SeaFoam in with the initial fill up in the spring. My top end speed is about 1 or 2 mph better at the start. At the end of the season I have only lost that 1 or 2 mph whereas with Stabil I was losing almost 5 mph and the engine was running really rough under load.
    HTH,

Lou