GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default I Bought a '95 TBI 5.7L with "resistors" stubbed into the injector power leads...WTH?

Greetings -

As stated in the title, I bought my '95 Suburban with what looks to be resistors (fusible links?) wired into each injector. I'll try to get a photo posted as soon as possible, to show exactly what I am describing. In the meantime, has anyone ever heard of such a thing? If so, why? I've been stumped for a while now. The truck has a 'stumble' @ idle, under forward / reverse gear mode while at a stop...could these be reason for the 'stumble'? I've posted a picture in my 'Garage' area, under the 'Under the hood' category. Any ideas? Crazy I tell ya...
    Last edited by Dana Joe; 01-25-2013 at 05:16 PM.
    Dana Joe
    Phoenix, AZ
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

That's obviously not factory. Why it was put there, I have no idea. It looks like it might actually be a capacitor. Perhaps the previous owner put them there to lengthen the injector pulse as a power adder. Does it work? I dunno. Those injectors use a peak and hold strategy to operate.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Other than the 'stumble' I described, yeah...they work fine.

Then again, could this be a cause for the 'stumble' I am experiencing?

Thanks for your reply!

Legend
    Blog Entries

I was pretty confident I knew what you were talking about, and then I saw the picture and I went WTH??? GM does use "heat sinks" on a lot of there engine harnesses, but they look nothing like that. I would agree that it is something aftermarket.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

If you can get a closer picture of one of those blue components, whatever they are, I can try to tell you more about why they may be there. I can't read the number in your existing picture.