GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bring back the El Camino

Today I want to ride around in an El Camino and listen to 8 track tapes.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

They did bring it back. It's called the HSV Maloo. HSV stands for Holden Special Vehicles and it's the performance division of GM Holden Ltd in Australia.

Here's the HSV Maloo R8:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MalooR8_Exterior_Feature.jpg 
Views:	913 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	48165

Feel free to import one from Aussieland if you want one badly enough. You're also welcome to put an 8-track player in it if you insist on 8-tracks.

Blog Entries

kool..never knew sycuh existed....thanks SurrealOne ,,,Brian
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I too would love to see one back here in the US...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I never much liked El Caminos ... but I'd definitely drive a Maloo.

I will even take the non HSV version. as long as it has a LS based engine under the bonnet lol. I always looked forward to my Australia port visits so I could drool over all the "forbidden fruit" we cant get here stateside. lol

Haha, unfortunately having been in a "real" El Camino the way us old folks remember them, that holden is butt ugly.....

My grandfather and uncle worked for GM in Michigan at Fisher body and I learned how to drive at 15 years old with a permit in 18 inches of snow in a "real"
    El Camino.

I learned allot really quick.... That holden looks more like a large version of that Isuzu or something that I cannot place the name of which I would not be caught dead in.

And for some odd reason, I don't think the engine in that Maloo is going to have the same grumble and power when idleing or pressing the gas as the big block carbed v8 did in a "real" El Camino...

There is a joke in the gaming community: "But can it play Crysis" or "But can it play Crysis 2?" (Crysis is a computer game that will put your computer to the test to play at the best quality settings).

So my next question here is, The "real" El Camino can carry a 4ft x 8ft sheet of plywood in its bed, Can the Maloo do the same?

An educated guess from the looks of it is "No" so it is basically a small show off car..... not much utility value at all.

-----------------------------------------
    Here is information on the Z Series Special Edition (They offer a 6.0L V8:

Standard
    features

• – SS – 6.0 litre Generation IV Alloy V8 engine and 6-speed manual transmission
    • – Optional 6.0 litre Generation IV Alloy V8 engine with Active Fuel Management (AFM) and 6-speed automatic transmission
    • – Bio-ethanol compatibility+
    • – Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
    • – 6 Airbags
    • – Touch-screen Holden-iQ System‡
    • – Dual-zone climate control
    • – Satellite Navigation with full colour mapping and live traffic updates
    • – Enhanced Bluetooth®
    • – USB/Auxiliary input for compatible iPod® and MP3 devices
    • – Rear view camera with Rear Park Assist
    • – Embroidered SS leather appointed sport seats
    • – Sports profile leather wrap steering wheel with illuminated controls
    • Sedan, Sportwagon & Ute
    • Z-Series
    • features
    • – 19"

So maybe it will be comparable to an old school EL Camino
    Last edited by PantheraUncia; 01-18-2013 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Information

@nakranij, the HSV Maloo is a hopped up performance vehicle -- not made for work. The donor model from which it is derived is called the Commodore UTE. The donor can supposedly take full sheets of plywood -- something many of the modern stateside trucks can't do with their 5.5' long beds. In that context the Maloo is still comparable, by the way, since it's unfair to hold it to standards that 'country Cadillacs' with 5.5' beds can't meet.

But still, if you want one for work you buy the base, S, or SS model of the UTE. I seem to recall that only the SS UTE has a V8 in it; the others have a V6.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 01-18-2013 at 03:44 PM.

I dated a girl that had an El Camino. Her father and her completely restored the body and interior. They dropped a 350 in it. That thing was quick. I would love to have one. I do not see very many around anymore. I guess that the salt got to them all.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I know up where i live a friend of mine owns 2 El Caminos, one a 1969 the other a 1983. But the 83 just has the **** brown color that i just think should be a different color, with a 305 in it and true dual exhaust with 2 12 inch glass packs i think. Also that euro elcamino just does not look right. I think the only el caminos there are are the old american ones.
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast