GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Some oil filter comparison information

I was doing some research on oil filters a few months back. I found a site that some may find helpful. It tells the square inches of filter material, manufacturer, bypass valve material , and anti drain back valve material of each filter. It is comparing the AC PF2 to other filters.

http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/...nce.html#delco

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend
    Blog Entries

I know a lot of people hate FRAM filters, but all I can say is I have seen 3 engines torn down that ran FRAM filters and they were super clean. I now run WIX or BOSCH just to try something different, but basically they all looked the same.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    I know a lot of people hate FRAM filters, but all I can say is I have seen 3 engines torn down that ran FRAM filters and they were super clean. I now run WIX or BOSCH just to try something different, but basically they all looked the same.
    I have not seen engines torn down that used a fram filter. I think how "clean" it is depends a lot on the oil that is used. I do cut an oil filter apart when I change oil. I do it because I am curious. I have to say that I have seen a few fram filters where at the seam where the filter element joins together, there is separation, meaning a hole where dirt can pass through without touching the element. I have not seen that on any other brand. Ac filters cost the same if not less than a fram, so I will just stick with those.

I guess I am paying $8 too much for the convenience of a 1inch nut on the end of it because I am too lazy to screw with an oil filter wrench to fit this car, and that truck, and blah.

It does have the most surface area though

K&N

HP-3001

This filter is a very close match to the Mobil 1 filter, which like this one also uses the original "performance" version of the Champion Labs design. The only unique attribute to this filter is the nut welded to the back of the can. This may be handy during removal, but it does increase the overall length of the can which can lead to clearance problems if things are already tight. They make oil filter wrenches in various styles for a reason. The K&N is an expensive filter for what it is, and you can save $2 by getting the Mobil 1 instead.
    Exploded view:

Average Retail Price $12
    Overall Length 5.75 inches (including the hex head)
    Overall Diameter 3.66 inches
    Cartridge Length 4.19 inches
    Cartridge Outside Diameter 3.36 inches
    Cartridge Inside Diameter 1.70 inches
    Cartridge Pleats 57
    Cartridge End Cap Type Stamped steel, with bypass valve in front
    Anti-Drainback Valve Type Nitrile rubber diaphragm
    Bypass Valve Type Spring-loaded steel
    Element Type Synthetic blend media, glued seam
    Element Length 90.5 inches
    Element Width 4.0 inches
    Element Surface Area 362 square inches
    Shell Thickness 0.020 inches
    Backplate Thickness 0.14 inches
    Gasket Type Nitrile rubber

From everything I have read, Champion Labs makes the oil filters for AC Delco.

I stopped using aftermarket filters when I had my 1998 Chevrolet pickup with a 4.3L engine. When I used an aftermarket oil filter, the engine would knock for a few seconds on startup. When I switched to the AC Delco brand, the engine would no longer knock upon start up.

Since AC Delco oil filters are about the same price as the other guys, I just use them.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

That is pretty outdated information.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I think how "clean" it is depends a lot on the oil that is used.

It has more to do with the detergents in the oil than the filter...

Quote Originally Posted by 1st Synthetics View Post
    That is pretty outdated information.
    Do you have any updated information that you can share with us?

Filters are something I look into considerably, since I run commercial semi trucks. That being said, regardless of brand, I tend to prefer filters that use a synthetic mesh design as opposed to traditional cellulose construction. They tend to filter at a little lower micron level, while still able to provide excellent flow characteristics. They also tend to hold more and last a little longer, which is a major concern when going with extended drain intervals typically associated with OLM technology. Mobil 1, Amsoil, the extended life Donaldson's, etc use synthetic mesh design. They are top notch filters.

Now even though I prefer a synthetic mesh design, I also like Wix/Napa Gold filters. They are well designed filters with excellent construction.
    2013 Silverado 1500 LT Z-71 Crew. 5.3L Auto. Range AFM Delete, PCV Catch Can, RC Leveling kit, Dynomax Ultra Flo cat back, Airaid M.I.T.

2013 Freightliner Columbia. pre-EGR Detroit 12.7L 500 hp 1850 lb torque, 18 speed.

Sr. Apprentice

hey all
    choose best oil filter by the knowledge of features because sometime popular brand has not good features.The fiber element has more filtering material and surface area and internal construction is very good. There are some concerns about oil restriction because the filter element is so dense.so filter has excellent filtering capability, high quality construction, and affordable price.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast