GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default headlight switch question?

i have a 00 silverado , i have no interior lights on dash, dome light works.. i checked all fuses and they were good. can the dimmer go bad in the headlight switch.? any other problems i should be looking at?

may be the switch, or you could have a shorted/broken wire.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

I apprently the switches go bad all the time (mine lasted until a few months ago when the bulb in it went out). But the switch still worked.

This is the delco switch I replaced my old one with:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

Its either going to be the switch, a fuse, or potentially a relay. for $40 I bought the new switch anyway. If you have Amazon Prime, it has free 2 day shipping.

I would put a volt meter on it or with the switch out check the resistance of the switch while moving the dimmer control. Then you will know if you are getting power to the switch and through the switch. There is no point in guessing what the issue may be. It is inevitable that when you just start throwing parts at a problem you will be wrong at least one time and waste money. Being an electrical part most places will not let you return it.
    Last edited by Pikey; 01-27-2013 at 09:51 AM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Like Pikey stated check the switch, the last 3 trucks I turned over I bought extremely cheap because they had "lighting or electrical issues" that turned out to be bad switch's.
    It's an easy check and an inexpensive repair.

Had to replace my headlamp and dimmer switch many times.

This only started after replacing the stock (55watt) Headlamp bulbs with Xenon (100watt) bulbs.

The switch kept melting.

Finally installed a set of relays between the switch and the headlamps.

Switch runs cool and the headlamps run bright.
    Pavement sucks... :grrrrrr:

1994 K1500 4x4 Ext. Cab
    PCM chip and Xenon 8000k bulbs
    350cu.in bored over .050"
    balanced Crank, 10:1 compression
    Flat top pistons,cam,ported heads
    Option Racing Cold Air Intake
    Holley Throttle Body Spacer
    Accell Igition, 45kv coil
    FloTech Headers, no CATs, dual exhuast
    Goodyear Silent Armor A/T 305/70-16
    Pioneer SupertunerIII CD USB Bluetooth
    Kicker ZX200.2 ZX Amp
    Kicker Audio COMP 10" Subwoofer

Legend

sure the dimmer /dimmer sw can go bad. If this suddenly failed I would check the illum 10A fuse. this feeds the interior dash lamps. now if the fuse is blown and the new 10A fuse blows again then you got to find the short.. good luck .

if you use a bigger fuse then you will destroy the headlight sw assy.

its the switch, i put one out of my jimmy and everything lit up

This is why i ALLWAYS use relays when adding non oem lights. Is it just the cluster lights or the whole dash?
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

the whole damn dash lit up like a christmas tree lol. dimmer must of been bad