GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default GMC Sierra 03' "Service Air Bag" light

I changed my rack and pinion today and i was moving the steering wheel back and forth and I heard a click, thinking nothing about it i proceeded to put my new part in. When i turned my truck on the service light went on for the "Service Air Bag". I've never had this problem before and i was wondering if anyone knew what the issue can be. Also, i have a bullydog downloader and i read the DTC and it gave me a code U1064 unknown error. HELP!

Legend
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the club!!!

Well you sir have a broken clock spring now, any code beginning with a "U" is stored in the BCM. You can try and disconnect the battery totally, and then touch and hold the + & - together for a few seconds and then hook the battery back up and see if that resets the BCM.

I broke the clock spring on my 04' Colorado the same way, putting a new rack and pinion in. They wanted $300.00 for the clock spring, because it is part of the multi-function switch. (cruise/windshield wiper arm) I bought a used steering column off of ebay for $50.00, got everything from the intermediate shaft to the air bag and free shipping!!

- - - Updated - - -

The clock spring is inside that little black circle with the yellow stickers on it, you have to pull the air bag and then the steering wheel to get to it. I can't post how to remove the air bag due to safety issues, plus I have gotten yelled at in the past lol!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0467.jpg 
Views:	565 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	48834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0470.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	48835Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0471.jpg 
Views:	552 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	48836
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Wow thanks that's very helpful! Do you know why they break? Cause it's not like I did anything to it really other than move the steering wheel. Thanks again for the help!

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well after I broke mine, the truck was still drivable but It made that horrible snapping noise all the time. Basically all of the internal parts are copper and plastic, hence very cheap cheesy design. Anytime you disconnect the steering shaft, you have got to be super careful not to move the steering wheel. I will see if I can find the picture of the inside of it.

Ya see I don't hear snapping or clicking at all when I drive

Legend

when any work is done that concerns the steering you must lock down the steering wheel so that it will not move too much . if the steering wheel / ISS moves to much these small wires to the AIR BAG break.

you should have seen some yellow warning labels on the steering shaft about following the proceedure.