GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default What antenna is this?

I just purchased an 07 SIlverado 1500, which came with Sirius XM. The problem is I can't get any AM radio reception, but satellite and FM work perfectly. I don't know if the attached picture is for AM reception or some sort of CB antenna. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Am Ant is mostly on or in the radio..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

AM and FM usually share the stick antenna mounted on the fender (or, at least they used to, perhaps Enkeiavalanche has more up-to-date info).
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Hmm. I'll have to take a look in the fender. I have no idea why I can't listen to AM, but everything else is ok. I don't know a whole lot about this truck yet, but I definitely don't want to go to the stealership for a radio issue. Plus, I have no idea how much longer the satellite radio will be on. I have two stations on AM I listen to, with one also available on satellite. I am guessing the antenna in the pic is for 2 way.
    2007 Silverado 1500 LTZ 6.0L VortecMax - Magnaflow Catback

2008 Pontiac G8 GT - LS3 430 & many more goodies
    409 rwhp 402 rwtq

You might get lucky and the previous owner purchased lifetime satellite radio. As long as you do not report to the company you might have it forever.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    You might get lucky and the previous owner purchased lifetime satellite radio. As long as you do not report to the company you might have it forever.

I hope so.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow...do I feel like an idiot. The previous owner had removed the antenna mast located on the front fender. I was feeling around, and there it was. So, I just went to Autozone and purchased a new mast. Just like new lol.

I have seen guy do the antenna delete before. I don't know what they use instead of the factory mount. Maybe @SurrealOne can tell us. I believe that he did the antenna delete on his truck.

Glad you got it resolved. That doesn't look like an OEM antenna. Maybe CB or HAM, but definitely not OEM.

Regarding lifetime satelllite radio - I'm a lifetime customer and what tends to happen is people like me leave it on the old vehicle until they have sat radio capability in a new vehicle, at which point we pay a fee and transfer it. Someone had 4.5 months of it free when I sold my SRT8.

Also, since Pikey brought it up, the antenna delete mod simply re-uses the factory antenna. Basically an "L" bracket is custom made and used to allow you to mount the OEM antenna pointed toward the front of the truck instead of up ... thereby placing it under the hood. It's like a 5 dollar mod unless you also want to get rid of the hole where the antenna used to stick up (which on NBS trucks can be done using an Escalade part that has no hole, there), in which case it becomes a 30ish dollar mode.

For NNBS trucks if you can't pull the antenna cord out a few inches you can flip the antenna upside down and bolt it back in. It works good. Just don't do what I did the first time a pull the cable out of the antenna mount
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

I might have to give that a try @ahmitchell1 . Currently I just took the antenna off completely. In the city my AM and FM reception is still fine. I lose it pretty fast when I'm on the highway, but I mostly listen to CDs or MP3s anyway.

2012 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 4.8L 4x4
    - Nitto Tera Grapler 265/70R17, Line-X bed liner, Black Bowties, Stampede front deflector, DeeZee black diamond plate bed rails, TonnoPro Lo-roll cover, Antenna deleted, Spyder Projection Headlights with Phillips CrystalVision Ultra bulbs, Spyder Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Rough Country leveling kit, PlastiDip'd emblems, and wheel hubs, Diablosport Trinity, 20% tint, Black OEM grill

"Coming through in a new Chevy, droppin' game like it's too heavy."

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by