GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Headlight issue

Default Headlight issue

I just replaced my headlight less than a year ago, and the light burned out again last night. I can't recall for sure, but I think this same headlight burned out before that time less than a year, so two headlights in a year and a half?

What could be causing this? Cheap headlights, or is there some other electrical issue I should consider?

That's pretty rare to not be a problem unless your neightbor kid is doing something funky to them at night when you're asleep.

Does it do anything before it goes out, light go bright or dim, or does it just go out?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

I took a closer look tonight, and it looks like a contact issue. At least last time I didn't check, just put in a new headlight and it worked.

This time I put a new bulb in there and nothing? So I wiggled it around, and sure enough it lit. Looking at the contacts it looks like there is some corrosion going on there. I'll have to find a small brush to clean it out, or maybe I need to remove the connector and get a new one.

The blades that slip into the socket don't seem to have very much tension. I'm guessing a socket in good order will have some type of spring action to squeeze the light bulb prongs.

Sometimes you can get a small screwdriver, a dental pick, or a soldiering pick in the socket to spread out the contacts so they fit tight again.
    When you put the new headlight in also make sure you put a coating of Dialectic grease on the socket and contacts, this helps prevent shorting and keeps water out. Most auto parts stores have one time use packs for about a $1.25 sitting next to the cash register.

you might have the same issue i having---i tracked the issue down. i lost headlamp bulbs 1st then the head light switch was the next thing that went, but the cause was the high/low beam switch on the column. it would stick between high and low beam over heating the on/ off switch and shorting out the bulbs. i am in the middle of replacing the switch and i going to run them to 2 relays that will supply full battery power to the bulbs and not the switches any longer. this will make them brighter and last longer.....mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well