GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Fuel Pump Fuse keeps blowing

It all started one day when I hit a pothole really hard. The fuse blew and fuel pump stopped. I changed the fuse and was good to go until recently when it started blowing again.
    Now, everytime I am under a load, like plowing through snow, the fuse will blow.
    This past weekend, my fuse blew again but this time I can't get it to stop blowing. Everytime I turn the ignition on, I blow the fuse.
    The fuse is located in the slot marked ECMI.
    How do I find out if it is the pump, the relay, or anything else?
    I am assuming there is a short somewhere. I thought maybe I pinched a wire and am arcing out somewhere.
    There is one black wire and two other wires coming off the tank where I am assuming the fuel pump is. The wire tester just barely has a dim light on one of the wires and nothing on the other. The problem is when I turn the ignition on to test the wires, I blow the fuse.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Rob in Wisconsin.

Year and engine would be useful information.

On my '98, the ECM -1 fuse feeds power to the PCM and parts of the engine management system. The PCm controls the fuel pump. If you are blowing one of the ECM fuses, the short could be in any number of places other than the fuel pump circuit.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Could be as simple as a loose or bad ground wire, I'd check those first.

short and sweet
    If its blowin as soon as you turn the switch on..........( a really good thing..Its doin it!)
    Disconnect wiring at your pump. If it quits...BINGO Reconnect the wiring, and blow another one....You got ti for sure! Replace the pump.