GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default ACDelco PF48 vs. PF63 usage and also ecore filter?

Hello, after reading some threads on oil filters, some guys are using an PF63 in place of a PF48. Claiming that the extra filter media is the way to go.

My biggest thing, is the filter being 0.75" longer worth the hassle if you ever had to go in for a warranty repair? I would gather that if you pulled into the dealer with engine complaints and they saw the wrong filter.......

Also, there was a lot of talk about ecore AC filters. Something to do with a plastic cage instead of the steel tube? This resulted in the filter media tearing during use. I will have to check my PF48s when I get home.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Thats why i use napa because they list the longer filter (napa/wix) as oem spec for trucks. It also makes it alittle easier to replace since they mount so close to the oilpan to get some more to grip on.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

E-core filters are easy to distinguish as the part number will end with an "E." For example a PF46 is the traditional metal center tube and a PF46E is an ecore. I to date have not seen a PF48 in e-core form. If I do I'll personally stay away from it. The PF48 on the other hand is a well built filter for its price. Nothing wrong with Wix filters either, but on lots of their filters they use a thread end bypass and as a result the amount of filter media is reduced in the can. I am not sure if this is the case on the Wix 57060 for our trucks, but I do know that Wix generally makes a quality filter.
    2013 Silverado Z71 LT

Legend

I would go to the wix filter web site and see if you can use a pf63 filter as a replacement for the pf48 spec. from what I found this is not listed as a replacement.

the bypass pressure range is slightly different . these pf63 filters appear to be for V6 engines.

my 05 calls for a pf 46 I have occasionally used the longer pf 52 in its place. The pf 52 was the spec for my 02 2wd. But, the 46 for the 4wd

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend

the pf46 has a 13/16 thread. the pf 52 has a 18mm thread. I do not see how this is possible to use the pf52.

the pf 46 ac filter is the oem spec filter.

I will have to run out to the garage and check. I believe that it was the 52

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I will have to run out to the garage and check. I believe that it was the 52
    I was wrong it was a 61

Legend

looks like the pf61 is bigger same specs. also the yukon is listed.

I checked my stock of PF48 filters and they are NOT e-core filters. They have a steel tube, not a plastic cage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf11 View Post
    E-core filters are easy to distinguish as the part number will end with an "E." For example a PF46 is the traditional metal center tube and a PF46E is an ecore. I to date have not seen a PF48 in e-core form. If I do I'll personally stay away from it. The PF48 on the other hand is a well built filter for its price. Nothing wrong with Wix filters either, but on lots of their filters they use a thread end bypass and as a result the amount of filter media is reduced in the can. I am not sure if this is the case on the Wix 57060 for our trucks, but I do know that Wix generally makes a quality filter.
    I used to use Wix oil filters back when I had my Isuzu pickup. If ACDelco goes e-core on the PF48, I'll switch to Wix.

I may go to Walmart and pick up a few more PF48s, they are $3.79 each.

Legend

I think that GM stopped these environmental type filters. this is because of oil filters blowing up. EPA does not like oil all over a hywy.

with engine damage created GM/ac will stall.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by