GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: stereo

Jr. Apprentice

Default stereo

Okay guys, I know you cant have a badass Chevy without a Badass Stereo system to go with it, Ive always had one phrase in my head and it is " I like to give people two ways of knowing that Im heading their way, one by my exhaust, and two by my sound system". Anyways i just got two kicker 10's and a keenwood 1000 watt amp, and when Im driving down the road at night, my headlights dim to the beat of the song, I also loose power when im driving rather than sitting still idling, I know its either my alternator or my batter, but their both pretty new, any audio fanatics out there have any idea what it is?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my truck.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	48664

This probably belongs in the audio section of the site?

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you here. I would probably put in a Capacitor for the subs and check all my connections to make sure they are clean and tight. Also make sure you alternator is putting out right.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

**Moved to Audio, Video, Gadget Tech**

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Caps are a start but also known as Bandaids.. First off what model amp is it? Who wired it up? If it's the 1000 watt Kenwood amp I think it is it's about 300 watts RMS which is not much but fine for your subs..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

What you need is an H.O. alternator. Capacitors and/or an extra battery just place more load on the vehicle's charging system which is already inadequate. Hence the dimming lights.

Like they say... caps and batteries are band-aids. An H.O. Alt is the cure.

I would stay away from caps, they are becoming more and more phased out due to a recent onslaught of testing which has proven they do little to nothing for a system. A big thing we tell people when they come in looking to do a system is, adequate grounding, a BIG 3 upgrade and an alternator if the system is too "out of control"

When your truck is running, the alternator is doing all the work for your charging system, the battery is mostly for startup and the occasional of current draw which most factory alternators may struggle with from time to time.

Consistently across the board customers notice a big difference in dimming AND how loud their system is when you run a bigger alternator from companies such as, Ohio Generators, Stinger or, my favorite, DC Power.

Your system isn't big enough for this kind if an upgrade, I would suggest doing the BIG 3 upgrade. Using the same size wire as what's feeding your sound system, run a no wire from the + battery post to the alternator, a new ground from the battery to the frame, no ground for the engine, ground your alternator frame and also, bond your trucks body to the trucks frame.

I concur with @zigger215 that the place to start is with properly sized wiring. Is the amp's +12v and grnd wiring 4ga or 2ga? If not that's the first thing I'd fix. (I run 4ga for my 750 watt, 5-channel amp, by the way.) If what's there is 4ga or 2gba, is it pure copper or CCA (copper clad aluminum)? If CCA, then consider that CCA should be treated as a size smaller than the same size pure copper, as it's not as conductive as pure copper ... so you get more voltage drop across a given distance of CCA wire when compared with the same size pure copper wire. (Pure copper is more expensive for a reason ... and worth the premium.)

Next I'd proceed to the big 3 upgrade if you've not already done it. You can Google what this is and there are even Youtube videos on what/how to do it ... so do some homework on it.